More LaScalas! Help with Finish Please!

tidmack

I snagged a pair of '79 LaScalas on Saturday. Those of you in Milwaukee, they were in the ones on the Journal over the weekend. My post is for two reasons:

First, these aren't the cleanest LaScalas I've purchased. The veneer is VERY dry. There is no poly or topcoat on them. I've tried some lemon oil, but the speakers are absorbing the heck out of that stuff. What else can I try that will preserve what's left of the existing finish? I know we've been over and over this, but our search function is really weak. Is BLO still the way to go?

Second, the difference in sound among varying years of LaScalas or other Heritage speakers is quite evident. This is my 3rd pair (still own 2pr) of Scalas and I'm amazed by how different each pair sounds. The other pair I own now is from '84. I do have AA networks swapped in those, but they still sound different than the '79s I just bought. The '79s have Alnico mids and tweeters, with AA networks as well. The differences are subtle, but the '79s seem a bit more "laid back" and for whatever reason, the bass seems tighter.

I think it's time for a pair of AA's to go to Mr. Crites for a rebuild. I'd like to compare them then. . .

Jeff

Congrats on the La Scalas.

It is premature to make a recommendation, since the recommendation is contingent on what the original finish is. Since the wood seemed dry and absorbed the lemon oil, it is probably not a lacquer - but this is only a guess. The finish (at least the original finish) can be identified by the label on the back. The last 2 letters (eg BR) will indicate the wood (perhaps, B: birch) and the finish (perhaps R: raw).

Certainly a dilute BLO is appropriate for an oil finsh or even a raw finish. However, you may want to clean up the old finish first (many ways to do this depending on whether there are stains or grease etc, at this point avoid sandin or strong chemicals). This is especially important if the orignials are raw or if the oil you apply is pigmented. Incidentally, putting on dilute BLO is not a 10 minute process (if this is the appropriate direction to go). There will be some prep and this will be follwed by multiple coats (since they are so dry to begin with). It is easy enough to do, but it is best to do it correctly. I am not being condescending, it just that some care is required.

Take your time and don't do anything until you have determined the finish. BTW, avoid any furniture polishes that contain silicone.

Good Luck,

-Tom

Sorry fellas, the finish would probably help. . .I'll look tonight to be 100%, but I thought they were raw. There is a stain on them with what appears to be an oil finish. It's definitley not a laquer or poly finish. It reminds me of my old Cornwalls which were CWO's. . .hence the reason I suspect some kind of oil finish. I'll try to post some pics tonight so you guys can see the problems.

Jeff

Ditto on the BLO. I normally dilute with mineral spirits. Often RAW cabs that are treated with BLO appear a very dark yellow in color....this may be the coating you are discribing.

They're LaScalas. They're MOSTLY Raw Birch, with very few exceptions none came out of the factory with any other hardwood veneer or finish. EDIT- I am corrected, there were some recent Birch Black models and some Birch Lacquer, even some stained ones. END EDIT

The industrials sported either black paint, pebble black, fibreglass cloth, or user selected finish.

So what you most likely have are LS-BR, that either were or weren't finished by one of the owners. I seriously doubt that an individual would use lacquer, so you probably have some stain and BLO or stain and poly or just BLO or just Poly.

If you could post a photo that would help, especially an in-focus, well lit closeup of the finish itself showing any dry cracks or surface texture.

These days a lot of guys are using Watco Rejuvenating Oil Finish instead of the BLO, I think it's probably less smelly and maybe not as dangerous.

At any rate- DISPOSE OF OILY RAGS PROPERLY as they can spontaneously combust!

Michael

Sorry Michael, but not all La Scalas were Raw Birch.

Mine are LS-BL (Birch Laquer) and there were also:

LS-BB (Birch Black)

LS-BLS (Birch Laquer Stained) - and probably others

My laquer finish La Scalas were looking pretty funky (chalky, scratched finish) when I got them, but they responded very well to something called "Restor-A-Finish" by Howard. Can hardly believe they are the same speakers I drug home.

You DO NOT want to use BLO on a laquer finish.

James

Sorry Michael, but not all La Scalas were Raw Birch.

Mine are LS-BL (Birch Laquer) and there were also:

LS-BB (Birch Black)

LS-BLS (Birch Laquer Stained) - and probably others

My laquer finish La Scalas were looking pretty funky (chalky, scratched finish) when I got them, but they responded very well to something called "Restor-A-Finish" by Howard. Can hardly believe they are the same speakers I drug home.

You DO NOT want to use BLO on a laquer finish.

James

Yeah, I'm about an idiot arent' I? I put a correction on my above post. Thanks.