Best Places to Live ...

After 2 plus decades of living on Long Island, I'm about to leave. Nothing personal. It's just time to move on.

I'll be returning to my roots: Pittsburgh, PA.

No complaints about LI; my house is worth 6 times what I paid for it and sold in 12 days. But it's time for a change and a return to Community.

You may have heard of the Steelers. They, and their organization, are a microcosm of the social structure of the surrounding community. Hell, Bill Cowher grew up a few block from my home and went to school with my younger siblings. He probably attended my dances, at the American Legion, in the Seventies... But I digress.

The whole Western Pennsylvania area transitioned from Steel to Healthcare and High-Tech. For example, my brother-in-law was an auto-detailer in the Seventies. He now Admins the computer system for one of the areas largest hospitals. Stories like that abound.

The housing market is diversified and CHEAP compared to much of the country. The median price for a house on LI is between $400k and $500k. For that kind of cash you can find some nice mansions in da 'Burgh. And I do mean mansions, in the Mexican War Street section of the North Side.

But don't tell anyone the secrets of Pittsburgh, at least until I buy my next house. [;)]

I've traveled all over the country. The only place I might take over Pittsburgh is Hawaii.

The only problem is that there are no bridges to California. [H]

post-22287-13819311305134_thumb.jpg

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Chris,

Hope you find a new place that is pleasing to you both.

In 1987, Paul Harvey said Fayetteville, Arkansas was the best place in the nation to live. I thought that was interesting and couldn't disagree. I have in general thought central Arkansas was one of the best kept secrets in the nation.

Dee,

Funny you say that ... I've always loved Arkansas since I drove through it in 1978. I was impressed with the topography, the people and the country charm.

I joke with my wife late at night after we've exhausted ourselves with "business chat" and say "let's just move to a nice place in Arkansas and be done with it." She said, "I'm ok with that ..."

All the input here has been great. I've lived in 26 different places in this country during my 51 years and have loved all of them for differing reasons. I'm just not up to date. I love the northeast for the seasons, but the exit doors are flooding there. I love Hilton Head for the beaches and climate and things to do. I couldn't live in a lovelier place ... really.

But there is something missing ... a sense of community, of connectedness, of a sense that "we belong here". We loved our little town in Massachusetts where, when we got married, my wife went to the local Town Hall (Town of 3000 people) to get a dog license. She said, "Hi, I'm Carrie Robinson and I ...." and the clerk interrupted and said, "Yeah, you just moved from CA and married Chris and moved into Doc's house on the hill ..." She was shocked to move into a small town where "everybody knew your name".

I think, in the end, that's what we're looking for. This may be a stop along the way, and we'll make the most of the time here. Hell, maybe it will all work out and we'll stay here. I could of worse. Somehow, Texarcana calls me ...

chris

After 2 plus decades of living on Long Island, I'm about to leave. Nothing personal. It's just time to move on.

I'll be returning to my roots: Pittsburgh, PA.

No complaints about LI; my house is worth 6 times what I paid for it and sold in 12 days. But it's time for a change and a return to Community.

You may have heard of the Steelers. They, and their organization, are a microcosm of the social structure of the surrounding community. Hell, Bill Cowher grew up a few block from my home and went to school with my younger siblings. He probably attended my dances, at the American Legion, in the Seventies... But I digress.

The whole Western Pennsylvania area transitioned from Steel to Healthcare and High-Tech. For example, my brother-in-law was an auto-detailer in the Seventies. He now Admins the computer system for one of the areas largest hospitals. Stories like that abound.

The housing market is diversified and CHEAP compared to much of the country. The median price for a house on LI is between $400k and $500k. For that kind of cash you can find some nice mansions in da 'Burgh. And I do mean mansions, in the Mexican War Street section of the North Side.

But don't tell anyone the secrets of Pittsburgh, at least until I buy my next house. [;)]

I've traveled all over the country. The only place I might take over Pittsburgh is Hawaii.

The beauty is that there are no bridges to California.

True, but kinda cruel. [;)] Northern California is kinda nice.

The rest of the Western Hemisphere is attached to California's borders.

I loved the time I lived in Hawaii. It's a world unto itself. But unless you fly... you can't get anywhere else from there. And there's a whole big other world out there.

True, but kinda cruel. [;)] Northern California is kinda nice.

The rest of the Western Hemisphere is attached to California's borders.

I loved the time I lived in Hawaii. It's a world unto itself. But unless you fly... you can't get anywhere else from there. And there's a whole big other world out there.

Yeah you hear that a lot. But if you get right down to it and carve a niche there, who cares about the rest of the whole bigger world out there. Much of the uniqueness of Hawaii is due to its isolation. This is becoming less and less over time with corporate globalization. A true adventurer would not wory about flying out of there anyway. If you want to know how big the whole other world is try sailing around in it for a while. Not only will you get somewhere else, but you will truly know just how large the globe is.

What is this......a Southern Love Fest ????? Where is all the rugged North Eastern Men?? Am I the only one that likes the NorthEast........probably.......this section of the country is not for everyone............Think Cold, think Snow, think Ice, think high heating bills, Gee maybe I am NUTZ.........................

I said NJ but it is expensive....

What is this......a Southern Love Fest ????? Where is all the rugged North Eastern Men?? Am I the only one that likes the NorthEast........probably.......this section of the country is not for everyone............Think Cold, think Snow, think Ice, think high heating bills, Gee maybe I am NUTZ.........................

I'm a northeast guy myself (well, MD anyway) and although I'm not crazy about cold weather, I love having 4 seasons. I think MD is a great place to live. We have the beach, the mountains, skiing, surfing, the Chesapeake Bay (some of the best seafood in the world - can you say Maryland blue crabs???), Washington, D.C. with all of the associated history, museums, etc., Baltimore's Inner Harbor, The Redskins, The Orioles, The Ravens, The Nationals, the Wizards......all within spitting distance.

I've been here almost my entire life and its been a great place to grow up and raise a family. I think we'll retire to a warmer climate but MD will always be home.

I liked MD when I visited, its a nice place and it has 4 seasons which I think is vital to me.

Also I heard the chesapeake has its problems sometimes though with red tide [+o(]