Sub-12 questions.

wuzzzer

I've been looking at getting a sub for my two channel RF-7 setup. Since the Sub-12 has received rave reviews I was wondering if anyone has had a chance to pair one up with RF-7s? Does it match well with them? Does it keep up with the output of them?

Any particular reason that you have the Sub-12 in mind?

It is without a doubt one of the best bangs for the buck out there, but that doesn't mean it's a grand daddy sub either. So unless you're budget limited, I would consider stepping it up a notch or two to do your RF-7's justice.

Any particular reason that you have the Sub-12 in mind?

It is without a doubt one of the best bangs for the buck out there, but that doesn't mean it's a grand daddy sub either. So unless you're budget limited, I would consider stepping it up a notch or two to do your RF-7's justice.

Budget limited at this point. I think I may just wait it out and save up enough to be able to get a bigger sub, possibly the RSW series.

My brother in law might have had his sub blown from the power surges because of the earthquake in Hawaii. The sub 12 looks pretty good to me for his budget, it's on sale at BB for 437. How much more is the rsw series (probably a 12) in specs and money? He has a mid range cambridge soundworks system made by jbl, and it has a 12 inch sub and i never liked the way it sounded (muddy). The whole speaker system cost somewhere in the 1600 range several years ago. Thanks, I am somewhat sub illiterate since I don't own one.

• 2 weeks later...

I think the answer really depends on how loud you listen. The SUB-12 Spec says something like max ouput of 117dB at 30Hz. That is way load in typical home settings. On the other hand, RF-7's can play even louder if you can stand it. Their specs say 102dB at one watt, so they'd hit 117 dB at 32watts. And they can handle 250 watts continous, 1000 watts peak! If you're playing that loud in a typical room, then it doesn't matter because you likely can't hear very well anymore. :-) Or maybe it does matter because you can't hear anymore. haha.

I have the SUB-12 and I'm using it with KLF-20's (not quite as efficient or powerful as the RF-7, but close). I think it works very well at reasonable volume levels. But to "keep up" all the way with RF-7's, if your pushing them, then you would need something like the RSW-15, that was designed to mate with the RF-7s.