Sunfire 5X200 amp .5% distortion?

gbrlex

I read a review that stated the .5% distortion caused fatique after listening for an extended length of time. Has anyone had this problem? Also, it said the amp tended to be bright when using them with horn loaded speakers.

,5% seems pretty high compared to other 5 channel amps. I keep reading on the forum that Sunfire is a good fit with Klipsch speakers. I would be using the amp in a 5:1 system with all KLF 30's and a C7 for the center.

Any comments or suggestions would be appreciated.

Huh? I would love to read that article, post a link please.

I have run my 400/7 at full out both music and cinema, and never thought I had a problem with distortion from the amp?

Maybe someone can chime in on this, but it seems far faetched to me at

normal listening levels that even .5% distortion could cause audible

difference or fatigue?

Never had the problem with mine, so maybe I am just tone deaf.

K

Bob Carver, who used to own Sunfire, believs that .5% distortion is inaudible. The number is a marketing ploy IMO to make the Sunfire specs look like tube amp specs.

I own three Sunfire amps. 200x5, 405x5 and 625x2. The number that a Klipsch owner needs to look at on Sunfire is the signal to noise ratio. Newer models are in the -115 db range to -118 db. Older models were -100 db etc.

The Sunfire amps will play just about any impedance speaker, even 1 ohm amp killers. The Sunfire sound is excellent and works well with the dynamics of Klipsch as long as the S/N ratio is good.

My RF-7s have a better bass response and a better control of the mid range on the big stereo amp. The total wattage isn't used, but the ability to drive low impedance loads is used with near perfect control and excellent frequency response.

Bill

I read a review that stated the .5% distortion caused fatique after listening for an extended length of time. Has anyone had this problem? Also, it said the amp tended to be bright when using them with horn loaded speakers.

,5% seems pretty high compared to other 5 channel amps. I keep reading on the forum that Sunfire is a good fit with Klipsch speakers. I would be using the amp in a 5:1 system with all KLF 30's and a C7 for the center.

Any comments or suggestions would be appreciated.

what's up Gary. Where/when did you get the other pair of 30's? HZow's Cola doin? We still haven't sold the house in Irmo. We're settled pretty good here. Congrats on the other Legends.

Billy

Hey Billy,

Hope everything is going well in Charleston for you. Columbia is about the same. I can't believe football season is half over.

I got the 30's from another forum member in Rome, GA. about 3 weeks ago. They were light oak and I had them refinished in black satin. They turned out great and sound wonderful. I now now what you were talking about in having a 100% Legend system.

Now all I need is a good 5 channel amp to complete the system. I wouldn't mine keeping the Rotel 1080 if I could find a good 3 channel 200 wpc amp that would complement the 1080. I'm currently using an Adcom 200 wpc for the center and 100 wpc for the surrounds. I'm considering a Sunfire Grand Cinema 5X200. Any thoughts?

Gary