Need your help-using RF 7 for studio monitor!

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

One thing about the RF-7 in particular...it has that nasty resonant peak in the upper mids. I forget the actual frequency, but such an artifact is probably going to dramatically affect a recording - might explain why the RF-7 owners are able to hear the guitar solo (since boosting the upper mids can really bring a guitar out).

You say "nasty" ,I say heavenly.AND,it's not just the guitar,all instruments sound like they are right there.Thank Klipsch for the 7's,what a GREAT speaker.

Werner -- Don't worry about what people think here in this Klipsch group! They are a hard bunch to please. You know how you feel in your heart about it and your total feedback is more positive overall that agrees with you. I've noticed there are much negativity within the Klipsch forums at times so do not let it affect you. I'm sure members here do not honestly intend to be this way with your results you were happy to share with us. I have enjoyed your story about the RF-7's and sharing your loved interest with us. Thank You!

I'm in agreement with Fish -- The RF-7's are a great speaker. I'm certain that if DrWho had a pair with required equipment to sing it's best, DrWho would have a whole different tune about the RF-7's and not be so negative and would be very shocked at their performance level. The better equipment you gave the RF-7's, it just keeps getting better, to incredible levels that is very hard to believe from such an affordable speaker. I've played around with much different equipment with the RF-7's and what you get from them depends VERY much on the equipment. I have heard them go from thin sounding and just ok, to very wide, open, accurate, and down right shocking incredible sound as if the band or singer is there in front of you. They can put out tremendous high quality power and sound if your equipment allows it to do so.

You can get away with low power and more affordable equipment on some speakers and they drive good sound but if you really want to hear what a Klipsch RF-7 can do, you have to invest in some very good expensive high quality equipment and the level of performance will truly stun you! Unfortunately many will never experience this because the RF-7's are limited to what equipment most run them with, for those who give the RF-7's what they need to sing their best, they know what I'm talking about!!!

Nasty peak! If this is Nasty, give me more! [:D]

The better equipment you gave the RF-7's, it just keeps getting better, to incredible levels that is very hard to believe from such an affordable speaker. I've played around with much different equipment with the RF-7's and what you get from them depends VERY much on the equipment. I have heard them go from thin sounding and just ok, to very wide, open, accurate, and down right shocking incredible sound as if the band or singer is there in front of you. They can put out tremendous high quality power and sound if your equipment allows it to do so.

Unfortunately many will never experience this because the RF-7's are limited to what equipment most run them with, for those who give the RF-7's what they need to sing their best, they know what I'm talking about!!!

Very well said and 100% fact.I always get a kick out of defending the rf7's on the Klipsch web site.I have been doing it ever since I came here cause only a few know how they can sound.

I'm in agreement with Fish -- The RF-7's are a great speaker. I'm certain that if DrWho had a pair with required equipment to sing it's best, DrWho would have a whole different tune about the RF-7's and not be so negative and would be very shocked at their performance level. !!

For the 5th time ......

This is NOT about RF-7 as a Stereo speaker

it is about using RF-7 as a MONITOR speaker .......

which it's most certainly .....NOT

I think the real point is that is opens up the question. I didn't really pay attention to the guitar solo on the CW, but did on the RF-7's because the recording is "customized" to them as a specific home speaker. Michael and Duke are gettting at having a "neutral" monitor that can be used to mix for the "universal" speaker rather then customizing it for a specific speaker. Hence the differentiation between home hifi speaker and studio monitor....

I think all those crappy recordings are the result of everything that falls between the universal and specific...that is to say that technology can only go so far in developing a "universal" monitor that can be used to mix for the "universal" home speaker...then the question becomes, what's the characteristics of the "universal" home speaker and how close does the everyday home speaker approximate the universal speaker...must be the line of the flat frequency, eh???

It still makes me wonder about all the recordings made in studios that used various "heritage" Klipsch speakers early in recording history?

I'm certain that if DrWho had a pair with

required equipment to sing it's best, DrWho would have a whole

different tune about the RF-7's and not be so negative and would be

very shocked at their performance level.

You assume I've never listened to the RF-7, let alone with "good" equipment.

And quite honestly, the peak to which I refer is something readily

measureable and very easy to hear. If you cannot hear it, then more

power to you. It is not something up for subjective debate - it's a

factual trait of the speaker. If you like that, great - I prefer to

favor the side of accuracy.

The RF-7 is simply not a studio monitor - if you want to dellude

yourself into thinking that it can work, then knock yourself out. The

real proof is in the quality of the recordings coming off those

monitors...

And for the record, nowhere have I mentioned that the RF-7 a crappy

speaker. And the premise of mixing on a speaker to be played back on a

speaker is complete crap, but I won't dare try to touch on the

acoustics of the issue since emotional decisions have already been made.

Sorry for being curt, but holy crap...this is why musicians aren't

supposed to be behind the mixing console...my apologies for trying to

help out, I didn't realize this was supposed to be an ego boosting

session.