HELP HELP HELP - need quick response about QSC PLX vs. PLX2 amp

NetMagi

As you may have read in my other thread, I've been having a heck of a time tracking down a PLX-1602

The second place I tried to order from is now calling me and telling me they have none, but they'll give me a PLX-1802 for $659 (normally $799). This is a really good price . . .but it's the PLX2 series (the newer ones)

Has anyone used one of the PLX2's???

Should I keep trying to hold out for a PLX 1602?

I need to give this distributor an answer very soon.

Help, please,

-Rich

• Like 1

I would have told you just to pick up a used PLX 1202 (all you need) or a 1602 (overkill) for about $300-$400 since the amps are built like a tank and withstand much abuse. Therefore, your odds of getting a good one used are very, very good. That plus there are boatloads of them used out there because the pros are always turning items over. Picked up both of my PLX 1202s for a total of $750 on ebay, and they have not missed a beat since.

That being said, congrats on your new PLX2. I hope that are just as great sounding and dependable as the original series and like Daddy - I eagerly await your review.

Carl.

From what I remember from talking to QSC, the PLX2's are just a newer version of the PLX. Both are good amps. What are you using the QSC's for? What kind of Preamp do you have? Don't jump in to fast!

I have the QSC PLX-3402, a Carver TFM-42, and Dynaco Mark III Tube amps. If I were to rate the amps it would go....

1. Dynaco's

2. Carver TFM-42

3. QSC

The QSC is the least musical out of the bunch in my opinion (and others that I have demoed the amp for). Though it still sounds good, there are better choices to drive your mains. I will be using my QSC to drive my sub that I am planning to build here soon.

Another thing you have to be aware of is the output impedence of your preamp compared to the input impedence of your amplifier. There is a ratio that must be followed or else the sound will SUCK and you will be very dissapointed. Do a search on the thread "Punch anyone". This was extensively dicussed. Do not confuse input sensitivity with output and input inpedence.

If you go with the QSC, I second the motion to buy used. I learned this pretty quick. If you have tons of money to burn buy new. If you want to play around buy used so if you want to sell the equipment, you will lose little to no money.

I bought my PLX-3402 (which is a monster) a year old with little use and a small scratch that is hidden for $700. It retails for $1200! A very good deal in my eyes.

Let me know what preamp you are useing and what you want to use the amp for.

Hope this helps.

As you may have read in my other thread, I've been having a heck of a time tracking down a PLX-1602

The second place I tried to order from is now calling me and telling me they have none, but they'll give me a PLX-1802 for $659 (normally $799). This is a really good price . . .but it's the PLX2 series (the newer ones)

Help, please,

-Rich

First check Musicians Friend. They were blowing out the PLX series amps.

There are two versions of the series 2 amps, designated by an "02" or an "04" One of the two, I think the "02" amps, does not have the current capacity of the other. This may not be a problem with klipsch speakers, but you shoudl know that one is a heavier duty version than the other.

Help, please,

-Rich

First check Musicians Friend. They were blowing out the PLX series amps.

There are two versions of the series 2 amps, designated by an "02" or an "04" One of the two, I think the "02" amps, does not have the current capacity of the other. This may not be a problem with klipsch speakers, but you shoudl know that one is a heavier duty version than the other.

musician's friend's stock is dried up, but thanks for the suggestion.

the 02 is actually the better model, with the 04 model not being 2-ohm stable or supporting bridging

• Like 1

What are you using the QSC's for? What kind of Preamp do you have? Don't jump in to fast!

The PLX2 will power my RF-7's in a 2-channel only setup.

I use my PC as a preamp with the sound card's optical SPDIF out running to an entech 203.2 external DAC. The DAC then connects directly to the amp. I'm currently using an HK AVR5 receiver for an amp. This PLX2 will replace that.

The original thread in which I was asking for suggestions on what amp to buy is here:

http://forums.klipsch.com/forums/thread/808009.aspx

From what I remember from talking to QSC,

the PLX2's are just a newer version of the PLX.

Yeah, I called QSC and spoke with an engineer, and he told me that too. . and insisted that the amp circuity was essentially unchanged. . .. Hope he's right :)

Thanks,

-Rich

• Like 1

well. I'll be looking forward to hearing your take on the sound.

me too. . but it probably won't be too educated a "take" :)

this will be replacing an HK AVR5, which to date, was the best amp I've owned so I won't have a lot to compare it too. .

• Like 1

Don't jump in to fast!

I have the QSC PLX-3402, a Carver TFM-42, and Dynaco Mark III Tube amps. If I were to rate the amps it would go....

1. Dynaco's

2. Carver TFM-42

3. QSC

The QSC is the least musical out of the bunch in my opinion (and others that I have demoed the amp for).

Interesting how one mans nirvana is another mans cause for nausea.

Myself personally between Adcom 565 mono blocs, Aragon 4004 MKII, Dynaco ST-70 and the QSC SRA 2422 my rating would go as such....

1. QSC

5. Aragon

6. Dynaco

10. Adcoms

With the QSC being the most musical out of the bunch. But others would say heck they dont see a musical amp on the list.[;)] Now the Dynaco Mark III's could very well be the most musical of the bunch even in my opinion though if they have been gone through.

My first question would be what in the world are you using for a preamp? What really makes me wonder is you are actually using the same speakers I am. WOW!

Rich,

Congrats on your new amp purchase. I too am awaiting your review of your new toy!

I'm using a Juicymusic Blueberry Xtreme Preamp. It's not a good match for the QSC. I keeping the QSC, it's just not as involving as the other amps. But that can change with a Pre that is matched to the QSC.

Ahh I see. You've got that dreaded impedance mismatch goin on. Sucks the life right out of the music. I've got the same thing with my QSC and nice Audible Illusions preamp. It just doesnt work together.

I had a QSC PLX 3402 and a pair of Brystom 7b St monoblocks in my house. I kept the Brystons but the QSC came very close. They are unbelieveably good for the price.

The impedance mismatch can be fixed by swapping out two resistors. There is a guy in Denver who can do it. Check out teh basstalk forum. As of about 3 months ago he had not figured out the PLX2 yet, but it you buy new, you can ask that this be done at the factory (at least for the old series).

ART Cleanbox w/ rca's

Duke,

I have the Art Cleanbox. I worked. The only problem is the signal to noise ratio of it is rated at 90db. This is cauising a hiss through my speakers since (as we all know) Klipsch speakers are sensitive. With my brother-in-laws preamp everything is quiet since I don't need the Art Cleanbox, but by all means not a reason to give up the amp.

As for using the computer as a pre, I have no experience. If I were to guess, It will never compare to a dedicated preamp. Although I can be wrong.

As for using the computer as a pre, I have no experience. If I were to guess, It will never compare to a dedicated preamp. Although I can be wrong.

Well, the PC is the source, so adding a dedicated pre would just be another piece of equipment in line before the amp. It wouldn't replace or eliminate anything.

Whether I use the volume control on the PC (mixer in windows), or the knob of a pre, I'd still have the ability to adjust the volume on the PC.

A dedicated pre would be nice to have a physical volume control, but that's about it.

-Rich

• Like 1

the amp was awaiting me on the porch when i arrived home. . .

Unboxing, first thoughts:

WOW, physically much nicer than I expected. The photos really don't do it justice. I'm typically a good judge of build quality, and this thing is top-notch. I'm very picky in this area. It's solid as a tank and the fit/finish is very good. It's clearly meant for a lot of tossing around whether in -or- out of a rack.

Sound quality:

You're gonna have to take this review with a grain of salt, because this is my very first high-quality amp. I really don't have much to compare it to. The best I've owned before this was a Harman Kardon AVR5.

The power is just simply clean and endless. Any amp/speaker setup I've ever had in the past I could drive to the point of distortion from either lack of power (amp shortcoming) or too much power (speaker shortcoming). This is not the case with the RF-7's and the PLX 1802. I kept goin higher and higher till I couldn't take it anymore (ohh c'mon you've done it!!!!). This sound was just crystal clear and full.

I've owned a lot of amps in the past (HK, sony, optimus, kenwood) and they've all imparted some sort of "vibe" to the sound. This PLX doesn't. . . . everything sounds even and smooth across the frequency range.

The cooling is exceptional. I can't hear the fan at all, but admittedly my PC's fans are fairly loud and are probably just drowning it out. When driven hard it warms up to the touch, but as soon as you back off it cools VERY quickly.

I'm darn happy :)

-Rich

• Like 1