For Sale: RF-7 black pair with DeanG modded crossovers

markmaple

The RF-7's upper treble is elevated a bit and some just think it's too much of a good thing -- so I knock it down a touch. Without the horn walking all over them, it tends to bring the midrange and bass out a little more. I think it brings the horn into better balance with the cones. I also replace the stock caps, which are actually fine -- with a higher quality versions. The sound is cleaner and a little more open. I'm currently using Kimber capacitors to replace the epoxy coated ovals for the horn series caps, a Jantzen Audio for the notch circuit, and Solen in the low pass section. The stock resistors on the high frequency boards are replaced with Mills. If you shoot me an email at dgwescott@sbcglobal.net I'll be glad to send you more information. No, you don't bring your speakers to me -- unless you plan on leaving them, which would be O.K. with me.:)

Mark, what are you replacing your RF-7's with?

I bought a pair of RF-83s and a RC-64.

Nice, congratulations!! How do you like them compared to the 7's?

I found the 83s to be a little softer in the highs and maybe a little stronger in the mid-range. I had a week to A/B the 83s before deciding. The first night, they sounded awful. I thought they were defective. I let them play for a couple of days while I was at work in case they needed some break-in. They started sounding much better. They seemed to sound better each night. I went back and forth thinking that I had made my decision. Since they continued to grow on me, I decided to keep the 83s. They are both great speakers. Very similar, but a little different. It would be interesting to A/B them again since I haven't listened to the 7s for a while. Then again, that would probably confuse me again.

Mark, what are you replacing your RF-7's with?

I bought a pair of RF-83s and a RC-64.

Nice, congratulations!! How do you like them compared to the 7's?

I found the 83s to be a little softer in the highs and maybe a little stronger in the mid-range. I had a week to A/B the 83s before deciding. The first night, they sounded awful. I thought they were defective. I let them play for a couple of days while I was at work in case they needed some break-in. They started sounding much better. They seemed to sound better each night. I went back and forth thinking that I had made my decision. Since they continued to grow on me, I decided to keep the 83s. They are both great speakers. Very similar, but a little different. It would be interesting to A/B them again since I haven't listened to the 7s for a while. Then again, that would probably confuse me again.

So do you think you will be applying the DeanG modded xover to these 83's? Does Dean even have an xover designed for these yet?

So do you think you will be applying the DeanG modded xover to these 83's? Does Dean even have an xover designed for these yet?

I haven't heard of Dean doing any mods to the 83s yet. We might have to wait for him to get a pair and devise a plan to improve them. Once I start hear great reports of improvements, it will probably get me thinking. Until then, I'm happy. I think Dean's mods took the 7s in the same direction as Klipsch went with the 7s to the 83s (softer highs, better mid-range).

Try to remember that I don't really 'design' networks. What I primarily do is pull the stock caps and replace them with higher quality versions of the same type. The RF-7 'mod' to bring the top down into better alignment with the cones was developed by Leo here on the forum, who is an EE. I started doing it for other people after incorporating it into my own RF-7s and liking the result. Based on what I'm hearing from people about the RF-83, the top section doesn't suffer from the same 'problem' the RF-7 does. So, if anyone wanted their RF-83's done -- I would just do a cap for cap replacement. Of course, I don't own RF-83's, so I can't offer any kind of detailed instructions on how to remove the networks -- there is that front plastic piece that I'm pretty sure would have to come off to get to the horn in order to remove the wires from the back of the driver, and I don't know how much trouble that is, or if there is anyone even brave enough to mess with it.

• 5 months later...