Insulation passed, now drywall

damonrpayne

Insultation passed inspection this morning, now I just need to figure it out how I'm going to do the drywall. I have offers for help from people who know what they are doing but I've spent many weekends on this project already and it would be ideal to just pay someone to do it.

Its been my experience thus far that contractors super-over-bid "small jobs" though, so my guess is after my 2nd quote today I'll be calling to have sheetrock delivered and carried into my basement [:(]

D,just wondering what's super overbidding? I occasionally bid a basement drywall hung and finished for about 1 buck a foot,mat and labor.I was curious if I was a super or sucker,lol.I would add while I can make a few bucks at that if I don't get it I sure don't mind.

Have you done drywall before? imho, your own custom home would be no place for a learning curve. Everything you do in that room from this point out is FINISH work. It will all show and a less-than-pro job will not increase the value of your home.

For it to finish smoothly, you have to hang it properly. It's very difficult to mud over bad seams and gaps. It might take an amateur 4-5x the amount of time or coats to get it smooth than a pro. If you want to get moved in there soon, hire it out.

The bidding problem is something that was caused by wanting to do parts of the job yourself. If you'd let a contractor do it all, the rates might have seemed fairer for the drywall portion.

Same with hanging doors and trim.

The room is 20' x 25' with 9' ceilings. The one bid I got so far was $3500. However much pain it causes, that's a bit more than I can afford right now, I won't have anything left for carpet.

MC:

Doors and trim, paint and stain, are absolutely within my ability to finish nicely. I would not be doing the hanging myself, but following the direction of two other people who know what they're doing.

While I agree w/M about quality $3500 is a might steep(to me) for maybe 30 sheets 4x12(1440 sq ft).If you were local I'd knock that out in a few days for about $2k or a little less if you play some good tunes,good luck.

brownies

Huh?

If you hire a crew, take them home baked brownies or cookies on the first day. Makes them realize they're working for real people. Just a nice gesture that I guarantee will give you better faster results. I used to do remodeling work and it was always appreciated.

If you don't take any other advice from me Damon, trust me on this one.

Michael

• Moderators

Damon,

If you have some friends that are knowledgable in drywall, it should work out okay. If not, there is a way to conceal the "poor workmanship" on floating the seams.

Using a small trowel 6-8 inches apply joint compound to the drywall in a manner that would imitate "stucco". Basically you would compound the screw holes and "float the seams", then apply joint compound to the drywall to create a texture effect. This can also be done to the ceilings. Prime and paint.

It is my understanding that this technique is very expensive if you were to hire a paint contractor and can increase the value of the home significantly.

Just a suggestion.

• Moderators

If you choose to float seams in the traditional way, just remember to take regular breaks, especially when floating the ceiling. Dtel and I have done all the work ourselves on our home. No subcontractors, no contractors, from the ground up.

The only thing that almost kicked my butt was floating the ceilings. I had a very very serious case of tennis elbow, because of the way you have to use your arms in overhead work and the pressure applied to "get the air bubbles out". I could not use my right arm for almost two weeks without experiencing extreme pain. Other than that it was a breeze.

What I thought was kind of cool? I did not realize what was meant by "floating"(I had never seen anyone "float drywall". Once you do a few seams you realize you are floating the seams so they fade into the remainder of the drywall. I just thought that was cool.

BTW, most rental stores rent a piece of equipment (the name escapes me) that you can lay a piece of drywall on and lift it to the ceiling. It is very inexpensive to rent, but well worth whatever it may cost since you will saving on the labor. We have used both a "T" and the "drywall lift/jack". The sheetrock lift was invaluable. It saved a lot of time and money. Not one piece of drywall broke when using the "jack".

One other thing and probably the most important, don't rush the floating process. After the initial tape and float allow joint compound to dry completely. Most "do it yourself" instructions say you will need to compound seams three times. After a few seams you will probably only have to compound seams two times before finishing.

IMO, the stucco finish would really make the room unique. This finish was used in a lot of older New Orleans homes (I believe using plaster). It is again emerging in a lot of the upscale new homes. Just to have the texture applied in a 2500 square foot home can run 10-20 thousand dollars. That doesn't include priming or painting.

MC needs a good woman to stand beside him when he is taking on some of these "do it yourself projects". I think it would make a helluva difference in his taking on some of these do it yourself jobs. BTW, Colter I am keeping my eyes open for the woman.[:)]

Dtel and I both believe if you can do something yourself you shouldn't pay someone else to do it. We have learned most of the time you can do it yourself if you just take your time and listen to tips others are willing to share. And...most of the time the job will turn out better than if you paid someone, because who cares about the quality of the work more than you.

Oh yes, I almost forgot rcarlton's recipe for the brownies. Some of these treats will surely motivate your buddies.[;)]

The textured walls can look really nice, and would probably be done more often if it weren't for the cost.

I worked with a 60 yr old woman once, who did the drywall in her house all by herself. I'm sure you can do it. Just don't overdo it on the mud. That's what usually happens with most of us amateurs. [;)]

Bruce