How good are the RF-83s? ...seriously?

Ou8thisSN

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

excuse me...... the rf-83 horn goes deeper (1600 hertz) compared to the rf-7 (2200)

The horn is a passive amplifier,Jay.The tweeter is cut lower. [;)]

With the horn reproducing the signal all the way down to 1600Hz you have a more directional speaker.Horns being wave guides this will be a plus in most installations as the room will have less impact on the result you hear.

And again I would not change my RF7's for RF83's.Simply a matter of taste,the RF83's tend to be closer to speakers like the Dynes.Or best of both world,while not even close to the S5.4's refinement and lack of speaker colorations they manage a very good showing.And this will win Klipsch more sales,as they match better with receivers(uper freq.edge gone).

I never said the RF-7's sounded awful and just because someone likes a

speaker doesn't mean it's perfect either. I don't understand the need

to get so defensive. I am merely noting distortions I've heard that don't seem to be as present in other speakers that I found myself enjoying more.

Why would I give an opinion about a few speakers if I didn't listen to

all of them and feel I gave each one a fair try? I know I'm more in the

minority, but I'm definetly not the only one with these obvservations.

RF7's perfect? LOL Far from it,they have many faults.These faults coupled with what they do great makes them a very attractive speaker.

On a realistic objective scale the RF83's are superior to the RF7's.Still the RF83's have obvious faults when compared to speakers where cost was far less restricting the design choices.

You want to hear what a true imressive speakers sound and measure like,take a look at Dynaudio Confidence line,flatter and more neutral than speakers costing many times more! In the very end it is the natural,neutral non colored sound that is the ultimate goal for any audiophile.

excuse me...... the rf-83 horn goes deeper (1600 hertz) compared to the rf-7 (2200)

The horn is a passive amplifier,Jay.The tweeter is cut lower. [;)]

With the horn reproducing the signal all the way down to 1600Hz you have a more directional speaker.Horns being wave guides this will be a plus in most installations as the room will have less impact on the result you hear.

And again I would not change my RF7's for RF83's.Simply a matter of taste,the RF83's tend to be closer to speakers like the Dynes.Or best of both world,while not even close to the S5.4's refinement and lack of speaker colorations they manage a very good showing.And this will win Klipsch more sales,as they match better with receivers(uper freq.edge gone).

if you want to be a d*** about it its called a compressor driver not a tweeter. When you say horn it is understood that the compressor driver is included

more directional? umm its going down upon the 1000-3000 hearing sweetspot

And it is not a compressor driver but a COMPRESSION driver.You want a compressor? Yes go buy one at Home Depot,they have a nice RF99 model rated at 5.25HP on sale now.

At least play teacher properly.

Directionality is real abobe 500Hz,and even below.At 1.6Khz you have serious directionality.

well i hate to interrupt the catfight but i'm a bit disappointed today. I called my local dealer hoping the speakers would have arrived today but they didnt, he says the earliest i can ask about it is monday but no later than tuesday. I'm gonna call tommorrow on the off chance that it comes in... but i was really hoping to be able to play with them over the weekend. oh well.

okay, the RF83s are here and its time for me to answer my own question.

So i got to play with them for about 20 minutes today... i was real tired from work and then setting up these behemoths. that itself took 2 hours. But then i warmed up the ampllifier and listened to some eagles hell freezes over. boy are these speakers smooth. Definitely not as 'in your face' as our RF7s but this is very very smooth and refined, a quality that was lacking in the RF7s. The sensitivity between the RF7s and the RF83s are also noticable as I cranked this a lot higher to get the same levels i get out of the RF7s, but so far, I heard or found no distortion. I played these full range, and the bass was enough to fill the room with convincing sound. I would say that they have almost as much punch as the RF7s, except whats really noticable is the clarity in the mid-range.

So my first impressions is that this is every bit a capable speaker for mid-range and the highs. It had a lot of the characteristic Klipsch qualities that we have all come to know and love but it comes off as a little mroe refined or tamer, depending on what you like about the previous generation. I for one am estatic. The only complaint i had about the RF7s was that it caused a bit of fatigue after intense listening. So far, none here. I'm definitely impresssed and relieved (you never truely know how something sounds till you bring it home).

thanks folks for all your help and comments, i'll try and post some pictures of my setup tommorrow. all my bose is now disconnected!

So i got home and listened to the 83s today for about 40 minutes at near reference volume. I just have to say i'm sincerely impressed and delighted at this piece of work. The bass is better than i thought yesterday. What i feel right now is that I should upgrade the rest of my equipment to feed this the best signal as i can. Its a very very capable and outstanding speaker. Its every bit as engaging as the RF7s, and I did, i think, detect a hint of clarity over the RF7s. The best part: no listener fatique. The RF7s were definitely in your face. These arent. Now the ultimate test would be if i went up to the theater room and brought the RF7s back downstairs and placed them next to the RF83s and do a direct A/B but my back will NOT allow that. In the end, I'm so impressed and so glad I bought these. I am not dissapointed, not one bit (well i wish Klipsch left the black dust caps, i liked that look better).

For anyone who doesnt believe me, you gotta test these out, they are every bit as capable as the RF7s. The tweeter is really the difference maker. Anyway, my dealer, the price i got and the performance i'm getting is gonna keep me loyal to klipsch for a very very long time. I'm almost tempted to go back to the dealer and ask him if i can bring home the RT12d to test it out against this speaker (would they even do that?).

I agree, the Black Dust Caps are so much better looking...

As far as in house demo...by now your dealer should realize that you're serious about audio and should let you bring home a unit to demo. The whole reason for dealer loyalty is for perks like this. You might casually mention that another dealer down the street was willing, but you'd rather keep your business with them. If they don't cater, then go down the street to the next dealer and ask him for an in-home demo....and be sure to mention that you came to him because the last guy that you were completely satisfied with wouldn't go for it. I'm sure you can think of a bit more tricks, but usually you don't have to play the dealers against each other. For something as expensive as the RT-12d I would almost consider it a given that you can demo it at home. Worst case scenario you just take advantage of their return policy.

well the issue is that these guys are basically the only Klipsch reference dealers in my area, so i cant play anyone against anything, but what i do seriously want is a subwoofer, which i will buy in a couple of months. it just comes down to if the rt 12d has the bass that i want, vs a svsubwoofer sub.... i like the compact design of the klipsch sub, and aesthetically i'd prefer it. we'll see, i think, having spent close to 3 thousand in 2 days at that store should count for some credit/credibility. Its a gorgeous sub, if it can produce some good SPLs, i'd get it.

can you folks offer any advice about that sub specifically? also, would adding a 200-300watt x 2 amplifier help the RF83s any?

Congrats on the RF-83's. I have been folowing this thread to read your review.

I have the RF-7's. I used to run them with a Yamaha RX-z1 with 130 WPC. I then utilized that unit as a pre/pro and used an outboard 150 WPC amp and could tell a huge difference. The sound was more open. I have recently started using the vintage M-80/M-85 yamaha amps at 260 WPC. Again the difference is pretty amazing. Now my bass is much fuller. I had DEANG upgrade the crossovers so the mids range came out really well from that so I cannot comment on that too much. It sounds like the RF-83's tackled that problem anyway!

well, I really like the dust caps, not a fan of the all copper, its a bit distracting with the covers off. But as i listen to this speaker more and more, i just love it more and more. Its really everything that was great about the RF7s but just a bit smoother. The bass is there, its deep, its wonderful. I really only need a sub for 'party levels'. When I was shopping for these speakers, I got some advice from some out of state dealers who, it now seems, were more likely steering towards their old RF7 inventory than the RF83s. The stuff they said about these speakers was just flat out wrong. I couldnt be happier with my decision. Now i'm just wondering what I should do about these behemoth boxes. What did you all do? I guess i'll keep it around while I have the warranty but they are just so huge.... any of you keep yours? I dont have an attic and was planning on just collapsing it and putting them in the garage.