Textured Walls

dtel's wife

• Moderators

Jay,

We hung the drywall in the usual manner. We then taped and joint compounded each seam (and screw holes). We then used a six inch trowel to apply an uneven layer of joint compound all over the wall. There is about a 1/16" to 1/8" (sometimes even a l/4") layer over the entire wall.

It looks like plaster,(spreading technique creates effect) but it is in fact, joint compound painted with semi gloss acrylic latex paint. The paint color is Lawnwood, a real subtle green.

We discovered this technique when installing and floating our own drywall. We liked it and used this technique throughout our entire house. We later found out through a painter friend(35 years plus) in the business that this is a "high end painting technique" that has generated $10,000 to $20,000(labor) per house for a company of three women in our area. The homeowner purchases for the materials, the three women apply the texture, then the paint contractor takes over. Most paint contractors won't apply this technique because it is labor intensive. IMO, it is a super easy technique for the do it yourselfer, just takes a little time.

BTW, you can also add latex paint directly to the joint compound for a "duller" finish.

oh wow you know what you are talking about [:)] as this went well above my head in what exactly you are doing. Its one of those if I saw it I would know..... But few things go over my head though! I lived in a old house circa 1915 and had walls that looked similar. It was plaster and as the wall started to crack and such the previous owners just painted over it and cause a similar effect. But if that is drywall that does look labor intensive

• Moderators

oh wow you know what you are talking about [:)] as this went well above my head in what exactly you are doing. Its one of those if I saw it I would know..... But few things go over my head though! I lived in a old house circa 1915 and had walls that looked similar. It was plaster and as the wall started to crack and such the previous owners just painted over it and cause a similar effect. But if that is drywall that does look labor intensive

Labor intensive...yes

Level of difficulty...easy

Result...attractive, versatile, unique, durable and relatively inexpensive, considering the cost of drywall contractors, and with a drywall/painter you will end up with your typical "orange peel texture". I guess it's all in what you like.

I love old houses, rustic houses, cabins etc. so we eventually decided on the "Lawnwood" paint color. However this texture technique can also have an air of elegance, depending on the color paint you use. It also reminds me of some of the nightclubs in the French Quarter.

Did you read damonpayne's post regarding drywall bids for his home theater? I can't remember the dimensions of the room, but I think he mentions the dimensions in the thread. Take a look at the prices for drywall and the square footage of his home theatre room.

Looks very nice dtel and Christy! Thanks for sharing with us. Nice to see those walnut Cornwalls again , too!

The effect of what you are discussing is simiar to that of Venetian Plaster. Except in the case of Venetian plaster a two-tone ragging technique is employed. The walls are first painted with the lighter color and then a complimentary darker color is painted over it and than is then wiped-off with a rag, thereby leaving some behind to help define the high and low spots of the surface. Finally, a high or medium clear gloss glaze is applied as a top coat, giving the wall a "sheen" much like marble. The effect is very pleasing to the eye. Yes, it's a lot of work!

Below is an example. No it's not my house and I did not do the work. I am envious...

post-10177-13819314172442_thumb.jpg

Did you read damonpayne's post regarding drywall bids for his home theater? I can't remember the dimensions of the room, but I think he mentions the dimensions in the thread. Take a look at the prices for drywall and the square footage of his home theatre room.

20'x25'x9'

Another thing to consider doing, is to hang all the drywall yourself, but have someone else come in and tape/mud all the seams. A friend of mine did that here in NW Georgia, and saved a ton of money. Most people I know admit that they will use far more compound than the contractor when mudding. A good contractor can come in and tape/mud very quickly, and not cost you very much. You will also have much less sanding to do (don't ask me how I know this).

Bruce

Contractors around here generally don't like "small jobs", chances are it would be a fortune to have someone come in to do that!

Example: in my last home I wanted a bathroom re-done. It was a small bathroom, 5'x7'. I explained that I wanted the plaster walls torn out and drywall added, I wanted tile put up and a glass block window put in. The lowest bid I got was $7000 but most were $10,000-$13,000. Yes, for 35 square feet.

Finally it turned out I knew someone who knew someone who was willing to look @ it and do the work for a fair price I bought the materials to ensure we got the tile we wanted, spend $300 on tile, $100 on sink/pedestal, bought new fixtures, etc. Total cost including labor for me to not lift a finger: $2200. It turned out awesome.

My dad did this kind of thing for about 40 yrs. Another method is that there is a type of brush, circular in shape, that makes it very easy and quick. You apply the mud using the brush, which probably has a diameter of about 12 inches. Then before it dries use your trowel to lightly flaten the peaks, but not to hard, just basically running it over the wall with VERY little pressure. This will cut down on the sanding time when it all dries. Still recommended to run over it with a mesh type of sandpaper to smooth everything out. My dad constructed his own tool, where it employed 3 of those type of brushes and had a total sweep of roughly 30 inches.

• Moderators

My dad did this kind of thing for about 40 yrs. Another method is that there is a type of brush, circular in shape, that makes it very easy and quick. You apply the mud using the brush, which probably has a diameter of about 12 inches. Then before it dries use your trowel to lightly flaten the peaks, but not to hard, just basically running it over the wall with VERY little pressure. This will cut down on the sanding time when it all dries. Still recommended to run over it with a mesh type of sandpaper to smooth everything out. My dad constructed his own tool, where it employed 3 of those type of brushes and had a total sweep of roughly 30 inches.

Obviously your father was very talented.

The technique you describe it extremely difficult and you must have lots of patience to get all those circles in the correct pattern. This technique is almost obsolete as very few individuals are talented enough to employ this method.

I would love to see a picture of that do it yourself tool he constructed.

• Moderators

Looks very nice dtel and Christy! Thanks for sharing with us. Nice to see those walnut Cornwalls again , too!

The effect of what you are discussing is simiar to that of Venetian Plaster. Except in the case of Venetian plaster a two-tone ragging technique is employed. The walls are first painted with the lighter color and then a complimentary darker color is painted over it and than is then wiped-off with a rag, thereby leaving some behind to help define the high and low spots of the surface. Finally, a high or medium clear gloss glaze is applied as a top coat, giving the wall a "sheen" much like marble. The effect is very pleasing to the eye. Yes, it's a lot of work!

Below is an example. No it's not my house and I did not do the work. I am envious...

Aw...thanks Picky.

I think Venetian plaster may be a little more difficult. Because...you have to get the "wiping technique" mastered to achieve a quality finish. I would love to try this this technique at least once. That finish would look really nice in a home theater also.

I have used the "feather dust" method a couple of times in the past on accent walls.

I have also used the "feather dust" technique on the sides and floor of our utility trailers. We put two foot wooden sides and plywood floors in the bottom of our utility trailers. It makes it much easier to haul plant material and bedding soil and it doesn't show scrapes and marks like a solid color paint.

I also "feather dusted" the bottom of one of dtel's boats. He had an aluminum flatboat that he "floored" and he asked me to do that "feather dusting" thing on the floors.

interesting - I need to start keeping notes for the day I get me first house....man I can't wait to get outta college and start dealing with this issues [:o][^o)]

Live in the NOW Doc! You're at the best time of your life- poor and surrounded by hot honeys. The problems multiply exponentially with aging and acquisition of wealth.

But good to be thinking ahead to your first money pit experience.

M