How is the Panasonic RP91 DVD player?

Kain

It does not have the Chroma Bug, and according to that Progressive Scan Shootout #2 it has excellent picture quality.

Anyone tried or seen this DVD player? What are your opinions/comments?

------------------

Will be getting the following in December.

Home Theater:

TV: Sony KV-ES38M91 (38" FD Trinitron WEGA)

Receiver: Denon AVC-A11SR (230V version of Denon AVR-4802)

DVD player: Sony DVP-S9000ES

VCR: Sony SLV-ED100 (HiFi VCR)

Center: Klipsch RC-7

Mains: Klipsch RF-7

Surrounds: Klipsch RS-7

Subwoofer: SVS CS-Ultra w/Samson S1000 amplifier

Try asking this question at Home Theater Forum . A lot of people there own this player and are quite happy with it.

If I was going to buy a Progessive Scan DVD player now, I would get either the Panasonic RP91 or the Denon DVM-4800. After doing a little research it seems that both players are the same, except the Denon is a 5 disk changer. They both use the same chipset (Genesis) and support DVD-A.

I just got back from my father's over Thanksgiving and he has the Pana RP 56 which I beleive is the same except it lacks DVD Audio? Anyways, it looks fantastic. He has a Pana 32" Tau HDTV hooked to it by component cables. It is far better than my Pioneer. What is this Chroma bug anyways?

------------------

Denon AVR-2800

KG-4 mains (too bad the rest of my speakers aren't this good)

Polk C-175 center (it's ok)

Infinity RS-10 Surrounds (suck)

Audiosource SW-15 subwoofer (excellent sub for it's price)

Pioneer DV333 DVD

Sony 5 disc CD player

All in a 12x12 apartment bedroom.

"What?! I can't hear you!"

My RP-91 will be here today, after that I will be able to tell you more about it. I did alot of research and reading and asking questions.......and they all came back to this - buy a RP-91, you won't be disappointed. So I did.

The RP-91 is not the same as the Denon 4800 at all. The 4800 uses the Silicon Valley chip set while the RP-91 uses a very highly tweaked Genesis chip set. The RP-91 has no chroma bug and does auto scaling for non- anamorphic DVD's. While the 4800 suffers from severe chroma-bug as does the 2800 from Denon. The RP-56 is not the same as the RP-91 at all either. The RP-56 uses the highly regarded Sage/Faujuta (sp) chip set, and as stated it does not do DVD audio.

Chroma-bug is the streaking of colors that is not supposed to happen. When watching a scene with intense red and blue......there should be sharp edges seperating the 2 colors....but with the chroma-bug the seperation of colors is not there....they streak into each other and it looks like **** . If you do a search for chroma-bug on the net you will find alot better explaination then that and alot of information on it. It is also amazing to point out that there are very few DVD players that don't have the chroma-bug compared to the number that do have it.

------------------

Home Theater Page

This message has been edited by myram on 11-26-2001 at 08:10 AM

The 4800 does not use the Silicon chip. Because of the problems Denon had with the 2800 (Silicon), they switched to the Genesis chip. Currently, the Denon 4800 uses highly tweaked Genesis chip, even better than the one in the RP91.

Essentially, the 4800 and the RP91 are the same DVD player with some little differences. The both use the same chipset, and they both support DVD-A. The 4800 is a 5 disk changer while the RP91 is only a single disk player. The RP91 doesn't have bass management for DVD-A while the 4800 does. The 4800 has some scaling issues with letterbox TV's while the RP91 does not.

This message has been edited by oogins on 11-26-2001 at 12:04 PM

Diggs, click here for info on the Chroma Bug: http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/volume_8_2/dvd-benchmark-special-report-chroma-bug-4-2001.html

------------------

Will be getting the following in December.

Home Theater:

TV: Sony KV-ES38M91 (38" FD Trinitron WEGA)

Receiver: Denon AVC-A11SR (230V version of Denon AVR-4802)

DVD player: Sony DVP-S9000ES

VCR: Sony SLV-ED100 (HiFi VCR)

Center: Klipsch RC-7

Mains: Klipsch RF-7

Surrounds: Klipsch RS-7

Subwoofer: SVS CS-Ultra w/Samson S1000 amplifier