Quintet Question

NOSValves

I have a KSW-15 Sub, SC-1 center and Quintet satilites. The center channel seems to be slightly over powering the sats. I had a thought and was wondering what every thinks it would do to my system. What is I bought 4 more quintet satilites and mounted them inline with my existing Sats. What would this do to my sound would it help or hurt ?? If it would help what's the best way to wire a setup like this ? Should it be Y'ed with equel length wires from the Y to the Sats or can I just wire from the existing Sat to the new Sat next to it ? The Quintets are so cheap at Ubid that I couldn't resist doing this if it will help my sound out. Thanks for your help.

You shouldn't have two speakers playing the exact same thing like that. It might increase the volume, but the identical sound waves will interfere with each other and bring the overall sound quality down.

But if you decide to do this, your receiver or amp must have the capability of switching from 8 ohms to 4 ohms. The two speakers would be in a parallel circuit, and bring the resistance down to 4 ohms.

However, another solution will be to obtain a Quintet center speaker. While it might be difficult, it will be worth it, as all your speakers would then timbre match and the center will no longer be overpowering.

This message has been edited by oogins on 11-25-2001 at 06:11 PM

I wonder if the problem with the center channel speaker overpowering the Quintet satellites is a problem with timbre matching or just a small difference in loudness? The KSC-C1 is a more efficient speaker than the Quintets, but that should be correctable by balancing with the test tones from the receiver. I am interested in this problem because this is the same setup I am considering. Do any of you out there with the same system have this same problem?

I don't have the KSC-C1 or the SC-1. But I do believe you will not have the front stage timbre matched if you use either of them with the Quintets.

The KSC-C1 and the SC-1 have different and larger tweeters and drivers. The larger drivers will not only make then play louder, but they will also sound bigger.

Even if you tune them with a Rat Shack SPL meter, the center will have a larger sound than the Quintets and overpower them. With this combination it will seem like something is lacking from the Quintets.

Your best bet would be to get a Quintet center. Keep checking eBay for one. If you're too impatient then you can probably go with the SC-.5. It's not a perfect match, but it won't overpower the Quintets as much as the KSC-C1 and SC-1.

This message has been edited by oogins on 12-01-2001 at 12:26 PM

I dropped the center by 6db and that seems to do the trick. I'm really itching to take the dive and buy a set of SF-2 fronts and SS-1 rears. I'm afraid my wife would move out though Smile.gif. With SF-2 fronts with my KSW-15 sub I bet the 2 channel music would rock. Am i right ?

I use to run my Quintets up front for a while with

the KSCC1 center and also noticed the overpowering.

So i moved my quintets to rears and got a pair of

21 inch woodtech stands and added SB-3 Bookshelves

up front with the SC1 and now there matched perfect.

And the quintets sound great as rears for me.

------------------

Thanks,

Daryl Gregg cwm12.gif

MY Home Theatre Page

Reciever - SONY STR-DE975 ( 110x5 )

DVD - SONY DVP-NS400D

Center - Klipsch KSCC1

Mains - Klipsch SB-3's

Rears - Klipsch Quintet's

Sub - Klipsch KSW-12

This message has been edited by QUiKSR20 on 12-03-2001 at 11:30 AM

Thanks to UBID I have the same system. I use the quintets for my surrounds & the kscc1 as the center. I noticed the center overpowering my entire system. I have older pioneer floor speakers which match well with the center,but noticed the surrounds were hardly noticeable. SOOO, I did what another poster did, drop the db level on the center & fronts & increase the surrounds. I have yet to calibrate it with an SPL meter but this method does work well.