Thoughts on using 4 SBs - 2 for main, 2 for surround?

maxgator

I'm thinking of purchasing 4 SB-1s (or 2s) and an SC-.5 to replace my quintets (i'm keeping the 10" sub).

Putting speakers on the wall for surrounds isn't going to happen - so I figure I'll put SBs on the coffee tables next to the couch along the back wall.

Any issues with that kind of a setup?

Also, let's say I did use the SS Surrounds, they would have to go on the same wall that my couch is up against - i.e. the "back" wall. Would they even work properly there? There is no side wall on the right and a sliding glass door on the left.

Thanks in advance

Hi Maxgator,

I've set up a couple a' systems w/ 4-SB1's & a SC.5/ sw10 set-up. they were pretty impressive for thier size. This set-up is a definite step up from the quintets. As for your install problems w/ speakers on the wall I would have to see a layout of the room to hit on what to use for the rears. Can you post any pictures/ describe the room?

------------------

LSU PAINTBALL- We'll cover you with our balls!

Paintball players do it 'till their balls break!

1 Pair KLF-30's

Sonic Frontiers SFL-1 Pre-amp

Carver TFM-45 Amp

Teac AD-4 CD Player

***Needed VPI HW Series Turntable*** Anybody Sellin'?

Thanks for responding Klipschhog -

Hopefully my Gators will get to see your Tigers in the SEC championship game!!

Anyway, the room is about 14' wide and 25' long. It is a rectangle if you will. The long sides of the rectangle are the walls (25' long). One end of the rectangle is a sliding glass door that takes up most of that end. The other end of the rectangle is open and leads to a dining room/kitchen.

The entertainment center is along one of the 25' walls and close to the end with the sliding glass door. I'd say the center of the tv/audio is about 8-10 feet from the end with the sliding door. The couch is against the opposite wall facing the ent. center (i.e about 14 feet away.) So, not the best acoustical setup.

I'm planning on using the SBs as surrounds and putting them on the end tables next to the couch (the end tables are pretty big). The only other thing I could do would be to put the SSs on the same wall that the couch is on (my wife if NOT in favor of this - in fact that's why I'm not getting towers for the front . . . yet).

Even if I went with the SS, I'm not sure what kind of effect I would get from them if they are on the wall at the same distance as I sit instead of "behind" where I sit.

Am I better off with the SBs on the coffee table??

I know these are newbie questions but thanks for your help.

If you put the SBs on the coffee table, and fire them directly at you, you might give up the "non-localized" nature of the rear channels (less surround and more "in your face" (or ear, I guess)). When listening to movies, you might try turning them around 180 degrees to fire into the corner which would diffuse them, and use them in their normal position for 5 ch music. JMO...

The SS-.5s could be mounted on the ceiling over your couch, firing down towards the couch. I have my couch against the rear wall, with SS-1s mounted on the ceiling, and it's the best setup I could find.

Doug

------------------

My System

SCW's would be a great choice (they definitely Have built-in "wife-appeal"). They also wouldn't be firing directly into your ears as would the sb's on the coffee table.

2-possibles:

1pr. SB1's mains

1 sc.5 center

1pr. scw1's rears

or

1pr. sb2's mains

1 sc1 center

1pr. scw1's or 2's rears

thats how da' Hog would handle it.

Good Luck and keep on Klipschin'

------------------

LSU PAINTBALL- We'll cover you with our balls!

Paintball players do it 'till their balls break!

1 Pair KLF-30's

Sonic Frontiers SFL-1 Pre-amp

Carver TFM-45 Amp

Teac AD-4 CD Player

***Needed VPI HW Series Turntable*** Anybody Sellin'?

Max Gator,

I think you'r wife might eventually decide that she likes the wall mounted SS-1's rather than speakers on the end table. I believe they would sound better as well. I have mine on the "back wall" as well (Which Klipsch recommends as secondary placement per the manual). Perhaps you don't have to place them as high as originally thought so that you can hear the speaker better when sitting on the couch. Also place the speaker as close as possible to the left and right wall for better bass and sound dispersion. As for the SB1s for mains, I think they would sound good but you still have to place them on speaker stands. If you were considering the KSF 8.5s (or SF1s) they would take up the same amount of floor space. Anyway. You have alot of things to think about before you make your decision.

Thanks for the help guys.

I actually have an entertainment center that allows proper placement of the SBs in the front. So, I won't need a stand (or do I?).

As for the surrounds, I looked at the available products for in wall and in ceiling speakers. Apparently, the SCWs go in the wall and the SCRs go in the ceiling. Would the SCRs in the ceiling work well as surrounds? My ceiling is 10' high.

By the way, since I'm such a newbie - is there any place that has sort of a primer on all this stuff??

Thanks again.

All great options here discussed. I just want to add that if you do decide to use SS surrounds, their vertical radiation pattern is 60 degrees, so doug's mounting option would be best for you there...mounting them on the wall you would have to put them too high to hit their sound pattern..

PhilH

So, looks like the ceiling mount of the SS or the SCR is superior to putting the SBs on the end tables!

Wow, when I started this process, I never would have come up with that!!! Especially since when I looked at the SCRs for the ceiling, I didn't think they would make good surround speakers. (you know the show could've helped me with this stuff!)

Before I get the ceiling speakers and start cutting - are there any downsides to using these? It is obviously a more permanent addition.

Thanks - yet again!

This message has been edited by maxgator on 11-28-2001 at 11:49 AM

The SS-1's come in white. I angled my RS-3's down slightly when I mounted them on the same wall as my couch. Seems to work pretty well. If you do go in-wall, use the SCR's definitely, the will give you a wider dispersal pattern (similar to using SS instead of SB). In my opinion, the in-walls won't have quite the sound quality and not as much bass, but sometimes you have to make sacrifices to keep the wife happy. cwm1.gif