cd player problems

wheelman

I prefer the Q-Tip method as running those bristles around at the speed on the disc is just a most unsettling concept. Just be sure you use isopropyl alcohol so that you don't leave any film behind. (at least I think that's the stuff in the bottle I use...the label has worn off). Just be careful not to scratch the lense.

And then while you've got her opened up you might as well pull out all the hair and gunk that gets into the motors - especially on the laser tracking motor.

I prefer the Q-Tip method as running those bristles around at the speed on the disc is just a most unsettling concept. Just be sure you use isopropyl alcohol so that you don't leave any film behind. (at least I think that's the stuff in the bottle I use...the label has worn off). Just be careful not to scratch the lense.

And then while you've got her opened up you might as well pull out all the hair and gunk that gets into the motors - especially on the laser tracking motor.

Mike is rubbing alchohol a no no? I'm just trying to think of some stuff I got laying around the house. How about some hydrogen peroxide?[:D] I dont know maybe I need to go shopping.

how bout some merthyolate? or iodine? [;)]

(so kidding...that would totally ruin it - figured I had to say that in case someone missed the sarcasm)

I wanna say "rubbing alcohol" is a no no, and that isopropyl (denatured) is the only way to go...but I should really read up and make sure I'm not crazy. I just know if you use the wrong alcohol you end up with a gross film or sometimes you end up corroding everything.

This site says to completely avoid it altogether:

http://cdmediaworld.com/hardware/cdrom/cd_repair.shtml

The optic "eyes" move up and down within the transport, so you must be carefull when doing the qtip thing. Liquid of any kind should be used sparingly. I have had great success with the cleaning discs,as well as the qtip fix. I would 1st recommend a disc format cleaner, and run it even several times. The brushes on these discs would not hurt the optics(in my experience). Hope it helps.

one bottle says isopropyl alchohol (70%)

i have another bottle that is 50%

i also have a bottle that says isopropyl alcohol (80%) RUBBING COMPOUND with wintergreen oil and lanolin.

the uses include "helps relieve minor muscular aches due to over-exertion" on all 3 bottles

so i'd say YES , isopropyl alchohol is rubbing alchohol just make sure it doesnt have anything else added to it.

and i would suppose the more % alchohol = less water, which should evaporate quicker.

My bottle says 50 percent isopropyl. It deosnt' state any other ingredients other than it says inactive ingredient is water. It doesnt' say the percentage though. Dollar general stuff here. The good news is the player is running pretty darn good all of sudden. I wonder what was wrong I still may clean it. It was not used for quite sometime, and I just leave it on all the time, and the longer I leave it on the sweeter it sounds.