LARGE Shipping Question

There is a lot of discussion on the board here regarding shipping items, so I thought what better place to ask...

We have been offered first rights to an antique buffet that's been in my wifes family for years. Beautiful wood, curved/stained/leaded glass, truly a showpiece. 72" high, 48" wide, 18" deep are the measurements I've been given, not sure if that includes the curved glass face door on the full height shelves on the right side. However, it's in Mesa, AZ, and we're 2 hours north of Minneapolis, MN. I was told someone came in to look at it, a furniture buyer, and offered my wifes great aunt $2500 for it. It's currently in a retirement community of apartments, so they may have been low-balling to get it cheaply, I don't know.

Is this something I could have shipped for less than $1,000, and if so, by who? We've talked about taking off Memorial weekend to fly down, rent a trailer/truck/van/something and driving it back, my wife is looking at airfare and vehicle rental pricing on the other computer as I type this. The great aunt will be leaving her apartment on the 11/20, so we have to either speak up now or it's going to be sold.

Suggestions or ideas are welcome, so long as they come quick!! [O] Thanks.

I was offered a glass front cabinet located in Florida. A buddy there got a quote for shipping to Chicago of $1000. I had to pass.

My guess is that anyone has to pay a fortune for crating of really good stuff, or do it yourself. The latter is, of course, a real project.

Some people like a road trip with sidetrips for entertainment. it could be a journey to brag about in years future, and worthwhile if it is a gem.

Gil

Go to Mesa, you might just stay

Let's just hope he doesn't forget his wife! [:$]

I drove 12 hours one way, to pick up my Khorns, then I turned around and drove back.

Visited some friends on the way & made it a 3-4 day venture. I also rented a trailer so that was another cost component.

I'd agree with the others... either drive out & pull it back, or fly out 1 way & nab a Uhaul truck....

Been to Mesa before, nice in the winter, but couldn't bear the heat in the summer.

Still undecided, need to try and contact some shippers today. Vehicle and trailer rental looks to be about $500 for one way, plus $300 for airfare, call it $1,000 or better with gas. Surem the trip would be nice, but would also make for a short 3day weekend, which don't come often enough as it is. Considered driving our vehicle down and back, only 150 for the trailer, but a lot of hours and a lot of gas in a short time. Figuring 1400 miles each way, 18 mpg average and 2.40 for gas is almost 400 in gas alone.

My wifes folks are in Mesa over the winter, they'd talked to one place that quoted them $796.00 for on-site crating, shipping and insurance.

Should have a decision by the end of the day, thanks for the replies.

Don't forget this reality...

If YOU do the moving of it, YOU control how it's handled... YOU can be sure to start/stop easy, turn easy...(minimizing it's shifting)

If anyone other than you does it, they will NOT have the emotional attachment to it that you may have and won't (IMHO) give it the same care of movement you will/can.

Not to slam anyone in that business, just my thoughts...

LOL... yeah it is. In fact, make you a deal, how 'bout you just toss em in the back of the car and we'll meet you in the Home Depot parking lot in St. Louis!!

I actually heard from the aunt yesterday, she want's us to have it enough that she's going to have it shipped on her nickel and call the whole thing a Christmas present. [:o] Expect to see it here week after next, hopefully all in one piece.

I agree with the thoughts about taking better care of it if doing it ourselves, but just not realistic right now. Yes, we'd love the trip, but with a really tight schedule I'd probably just be upset at all the things I'd see and not be able to stop for. We'll just make sure it's ensured and hope for the best. Sounds like the guy comes out and builds a crate for it on site, so would think he's done this a time or two before. Will let you know how it turns out.

• 3 weeks later...

Well, it has arrived, and this is how it turned out...

Everything came in fine, except...

On the right half there is a curved piece of glass in a door, approx 4 ft high and 12 inches wide with an arc of approx 1 inch from the edges of the glass to the center. (Imagine looking at the edge of a satelite dish.) It has a couple cracks running side to side, all meeting at one central stress point where I assume the crack started. It seems as if even though the cabinet was well packed, cushioned, etc. it was not protected against "racking", and that the entire unit got slightly out of square and the glass took the stress when the door tried to flex. I took pictures of it as it was originallydelivered, still packed, then as I started to unpack it, every step or newly exposed piece got a pic or two, so it shows it being uncrated with the crack visible before it's entirely uncrated. As of now, we've moved it into the garage to keep it out of the weather, but have only moved it 6 feet since being delivered. We had to have a neighbor sign for it since neithor my wife nor I could be there for the delivery, he's roughly 82 and currently fighting bronchitous, so the delivery guy went to his house for the signature. It took me nearly 45 minutes to uncrate it, not like the delivery guy would have waited for me to inspect it even if I had been here.

The original crater boxed it, quite well I might say, then delivered it to another curiour, who then delivered it to the ultimate delivery company. There was $5,000 insurance put on it, not sure how this will all shake out, but I just had a feeling from the get go that it wouldn't have a picture perfect ending. Hopefully my recent purchase (30 minutes ago), an HK 730, thanks to a heads up from a board member, will turn out better.