Klipsch rsw12 or rsw15

thewolf

I'm in the process of converting my surround sound system to the heritage line. Just installed Cornwall's for the front channel. Will eventually add a Cornwall for the center and Heresy's for the rears. Not sure if I should go 12" sub or 15". Looking for some free advice.

The room size is 16 feet wide by 20 feet deep. Would a rsw15 be an overkill? Can the rsw12 keep up with the Cornwalls?

The question CAN THE RSW12 keep up with Cornwall's is vague. As with frequency it can and cannot keep up.

Cornwall's are not world beater in SPL,around 120dB is tops and pushing it.So yes a RSW12 can blast,below 30hz it starts falling sharply.

The RSW15 will keep up down to slightly below 30Hz,and fall sharply from 25hz ...on down.

Question is,do you really blast your mains this much? I doubt as hearing aids are in your future.

With mains as large as the Cornwall's I would go with a RSW15.Yes it will keep up. As looking for a subwoofer that is capable of sustaining the Cornwall max sustained SPL at 20hz is asking for a large and expensive unit.

If its not to far out of your way budget wise shoot for the rsw15! I meen if its not to much of a hassle money wise whats there to lose? A larger sub doesnt have to move as much to produce the same SPL as a smaller sub so with the decision between the rsw-12 and rsw-15 the 15 in my books wins out in depth, sound level and clarity at higher volumes.

Arthur.....I agree, my question was kind of vague. I do not understand the dynamics of sound but I know what I like to hear. I appreciate the excellent scientific reply but its over my head. Let me ask another way. Currently I have a 8" Polk Audio subwoofer and when I installed the Cornwall's I can even hear the sub anymore. Was wondering if the rsw12 would provide enough growl that I would hear and feel bass again.

Gary

Gary,

My room is close to the size of yours and I use an RSW12 with my Cornwall mains. It keeps up and then some! Yes, the 15 goes a bit deeper but you'll have no problem with the 12. It's a GREAT sub. Would I trade mine for a 15? Of course. Do I really need to? Not really.

- Gary

P.S. PLENTY of G R O W L!!!!

Thanks Gary. Appreciate the feedback. Seems obvious the bigger the badder. I'm pretty much a money miser when it comes down to buying stuff. Having the option to go with either 12 or 15 inch sub will give me more opportunities. Now it's just a matter of time til I find that elusive "great deal".