ikea

Clarence

• Moderators

They just opened a giant story here in Austin last month. People were waiting in line for DAYS to be the first 100 through the door. Simply amazing. I have not been to one, but had an employee of mine go get one of those large Expidit Book shelves to store lps. I saw Charlieboy's and just had to have one. For less then 200 they are almost disposable. Even if it only lasts two years I figure I am money ahead. Luther is supposed to come up this weekend to give the new store a look, I think I will go with him to see what all the hubub is about.

Travis

They just opened a giant story here in Austin last month. People were waiting in line for DAYS to be the first 100 through the door. Simply amazing. I have not been to one, but had an employee of mine go get one of those large Expidit Book shelves to store lps. I saw Charlieboy's and just had to have one. For less then 200 they are almost disposable. Even if it only lasts two years I figure I am money ahead. Luther is supposed to come up this weekend to give the new store a look, I think I will go with him to see what all the hubub is about.

If you don't move it around a lot, or get it wet, I see no reason this record shelf won't outlast any of us on the Forum. One should probably disassemble it if one moves to new digs, but maybe not--it's stronger than most particle board stuff I've seen or built.

And there's no reason to be ashamed of using these. They are what they are. They do exactly what they're supposed to do. They aren't meant to drop jaws in amazement from the sophisticated class.

Say what you want about IKEA, but at least, in my case, it did serve its purpose:

home-theater-setup.jpg

I bought that rack and cabinet at IKEA, and I friggan love it! I tried looking just about everywhere else, and the closest thing I could find that resemebled that configuation was well north of $2,000. Yes, I probably could've built something myself, but again, I did not have the time to try to build something of my own (and even using the Salamader stuff, it was still $1,500 or more). I tried looking at the local Wally*World and the types of places, and none of those places had anything I even liked or came close to what I needed. There is no Sams club in Fredericksburg, and I would've had to drive farther to get to one that it would've taken me to get to the IKEA store. Also, I don't have a membership to those kinds of places. That setup at IKEA cost me about $350 or so plus or minus. It serves excactly what I need and fits well with my general decor. As to the quality:

ssk-sys-front.jpg

I've had that particular piece for over 12 years, and it held together very nicely (and I still have both of the matching bookcases I bought with it - going on 14 years)! It has been through two moves with nary a problem (did have to dissassemble it both times as it was to big and heavy to move as a single unit). I ended up giving it away when I got the new entertainment center as shown in the first picture for the simple fact that I did not need it anymore. At the time, I bought it, I only paid something like $200 for it. Yes, it is annoying to have to walk through the entire store (and I've found ways to sneak through the short-cuts as well as going through the check-out "backwards" to avoid it), and I agree to try to avoid it on the weekends (I went on a day off during the week to buy the unit in the first picture - practically had the place to myself!) But I agree with Jay, like Wally*World, I don't care for them, but still go more out of necessity than want, but I've gotten decent furniture there for decent prices.

I just got back from my first visit to an IKEA up near Boston. Dmitry, my wife and I went up to get some record storage. It was not what I expected. I expected to be going to an Office Depot for mod furnature. Instead, it was more like a Cabella's without the dead animals.

My wife didn't like the $179 shelf so we both bought one with real wood shelves for $90 more. We build Dmitry's tomorrow. I have some serious rearranging to do before I can assemble mine. Now if I can just remember the alphabet???

Rick