ikea

Clarence

Boy am I with you on this one. I loathe and detest the place. It is yet another in a long line of activities of the modern world I simply do not get.

I put shopping at IKEA in the same category as these big brother/survivor/talentless shows. They are incredibly popular by all accounts - but the reason for their popularity escapes me entirely. I see zero appeal.

I dont think I will write any more of my list - it will only depress me.

Plus the founder was a freaking NAZI!! That's enough for me. I will never set foot in an IKEA. That and the fact that I get Set Decorators trying to sell or trade IKEA crap to me every week and it's JUNK--junk made in CHINA with Scandinavian sounding names for the products. I have never seen such crap in all my days. It BETTER be cheap!!

http://www.jewishsf.com/content/2-0-/module/displaystory/story_id/13393/edition_id/259/format/html/displaystory.html

• 3 weeks later...

No wonder stores like that are so popular. They cater to people who.........

1. are looking to save a buck

2. what they sell is of a simple practical design whether it be the retro or modern (Scandinavian) style.

It is a huge place and one needs plenty of time to walk through and see everything. The thing that stuck in my mind is the scratch and dent department. Looking at the scratch & dent department I saw an ocean of particle board/mdf, it shows how they can offer more affordable products. I will say if this stuff is taken care of it will last, but be very careful with it.......

Look how controversial walmart is but yet they keep getting bigger and bigger.

Yeah, Wal-Mart sure is controversial. You've got a whole group of people who think they're the biggest threat in the world today (well, maybe second to global warming). I'm enjoying the 58-degree weather in the middle of December so much that I may just venture out to the Mart today. I just hope the ocean level hasn't risen 200 feet quite yet and flooded the place.

Yeah, Wal-Mart sure is controversial. You've got a whole group of people who think they're the biggest threat in the world today (well, maybe second to global warming). I'm enjoying the 58-degree weather in the middle of December so much that I may just venture out to the Mart today. I just hope the ocean level hasn't risen 200 feet quite yet and flooded the place.

Parrot...sometimes your sense of humor just cracks me up.

The thing with ikea is it fits a niche, affordable furniture for mostly people like me college students to new people finding their firstplace to live.

Ikea is mostly particle or mdf, but they have a very good reason, lower costs (duh) and the fact that it helps the environment etc etc

also I dunno why people complain about ikea and their going through the whole store, they have ways you can find the shortcut to the checkout. Most buildings come full circle meaning the enterance and exit is a wall apart with a door that you can sneek through.

"and the fact that it helps the environment"

That "helping the enviornment" is part of their con, their holier-than-thou image, like the crappy little meatballs and salads they have for lunch. You can find furniture of the same quality just as cheap at Sams Club but Sams has an uncool image.

I bought bookshelves at Ikea myself and they're falling apart after two years. Junk. Next time I buy junk I'll buy it at Sams.

Like any industrialist gives a good goddam about the enviornment, Christ.

"and the fact that it helps the environment"

That "helping the enviornment" is part of their con, their holier-than-thou image, like the crappy little meatballs and salads they have for lunch. You can find furniture of the same quality just as cheap at Sams Club but Sams has an uncool image.

I bought bookshelves at Ikea myself and they're falling apart after two years. Junk. Next time I buy junk I'll buy it at Sams.

Like any industrialist gives a good goddam about the enviornment, Christ.

We would need to see some facts there. Any millionare into the environent is looking to add to his wealth in the process.

"Any millionare into the environent is looking to add to his wealth in the process."

Indeed, and why not? I made a good part of my living building and fixing anti-pollution devices; baghouses, precipitators, over-fired air and fluidized bed boilers. I've probably done more actual, practical good for the enviornment than anyone on this forum. But I don't claim to be virtuous for it. I was in it for the money.

It's the claim to virtue that gets my goat.

well put it this way, if it wasn't so cheap then no many would have no furniture in their house

also particle board although weaker and such can be made from recycled wood which is alot better than cutting down more trees. then again both of you are not in my situation where i rather have furniture than not. You own a house I bet and it probably took a long time to furnish the way you have it now which is great but I need some simples things like desk, clothes cabinet, bookshelf that is within my budget. Also thge things at sam's club and other places are sporadic at best, atleast in ikea i can have a somewhat matching set.

"also particle board although weaker and such can be made from recycled wood which is alot better than cutting down more trees"

Tell that to a lumberjack. ;-)

I get yout point Jay, Ikea has cheap furniture that looks nice, better than cheap furniture that's ugly. And we all have needed cheap furniture.