Scott 299D

tom b. 57

Last week I wrote a thread here on this forum about my interest in a Scott 299D int. amp. A few of you were helpful with your replys, and I would like to thank you for your thoughts and educated opinions. After speaking with the seller of this unit a couple of times I have arranged to meet with him and audition the thing. I am not educated in electronics and am certainly a stranger to tubes. What are some things I should do and look for while auditioning this unit? I will be contacting him on the 29th. He is on vacation and will not return until the 28th, so I have some time to gather information that will help me with this purchase. He is asking $300.00, but said he would let it go for $200.00 if it was going to a good home where it would be used. The seller also told me that a friend of his, who is a "tube fanatic", has replaced capacitors and done some other stuff to it and thinks that it should have plenty of life left in it before anything should need replacing. Can you guys help me by making some suggestions on how to check this unit out properly and things to look for that might raise concern about the condition?

Thanks, Tom

Sounds like a bad deal to me...................I would not touch that deal at all....walk away while you can.................What was his address? Name and phone number would be better....................$200.00 is a good price, even if it needed some work.......I don't own one, but I know people who do, and they are nice amps......................

Yeah. If he'll take $200 grab it unless it smokes when you turn it on. Once you get it home, take the bottom off & snap some pics of everything top & bottom. Email Craig @ NOSValves and see if he thinks anything else should be done with it. He'll be honest.

You really can't go wrong at two bills. They're worth three times that.

Even at his $300 price you almost have no way to lose if the amp actually plays music. Go over and see if it plays then promptly pay the guy. When you get it home do as Ben suggested and pop the bottom cover off and snap some detailed photo's of the under chassis. Send them to me at craigostby@comcast.net and I will advise from there.

This is a no brainer buy it before the guy comes to his senses.

Craig