Dana Moore's (D-Man's) SLS project well under way

popbumper

Dana,

I still would like to build a pair of these, but I'm saving money for a trip the Philippines in February. Maybe sometime next summer I can get to them.

Chris,

The cabinet looks good. I also think you will be pleasantly surprised when you get a second one loaded up to try out a pair.

Bruce

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Bruce, I thought of you, too - YOU could draw this, too, couldn't you? In 3-D, even!
I'm sure of the dimensions...

On another note, Fleming Scov in Denmark is going to give the S-LS a whack, too. He already has a pair of the V2's. I'm feeling good about that being a vote of confidence! Thanks, Fleming!

He also designed and built a fine looking 500 Hz Fc Smith horn. I think we need to build a set of those for ourselves, too, so I'll see if I can get the plans from him.

I've added Chris' pictures to the S-LS plans. I'll send you a "fresh" set, too.

Dana

Dana,

I can send you info on the Smith Horn. Mr. Widget kindly posted a bunch of dimensions for them on the Lansing Heritage site. I think the regular ones that JBL made actually go to about 375 Hz, but I would have to look it up.

Bruce

For those interested:

Dana and I spent some quality time on the phone over the past two days, and we came to several conclusions about the design:

1) There were some very minor measurement/fit issues that I ran across and "tweaked" when I built the proto. These have been identified and corrected on the cut sheet.

2) The proto is just THAT - a proto. Given that I had to fudge a few things, I have gone back to the basic design and done some evaluation in AutoCAD, as well as adding a few "construction friendly" features. Over the holiday I am cutting some 2nd prototype pieces which are going to allow the end user to build the unit with much more ease. In particular, the top and bottom of the bin will have recessed "slots" 1/8" deep into which all vertical panels will neatly fit, as well as a number of spaced screw holes for these panels. Not only does this speed assembly by eliminating alignment problems, but it also helps the seal integrity of the internal chamber, and adds screw holes for a more robust build.

3) The port types have been changed to a cleaner design per Dana, and were ordered today.

4) The top chamber seal will be completed as per Dana's original plans, though I will probably add some T-nuts for fastening.

5) The photographic documentary of the process will be more detailed, so it can be added to his documentation.

The second proto will be a much more clean and accurate presentation/build, most like the final product. Like any project, a proto often suffers from minor deficiencies and adjustment, but is a wonderful learning tool, and it was worthwhile. The idea is now to "heavily polish" the design and make it more of a "kit" which is easy to construct. The CNC will be invaluable in creating these parts accurately. While I may have the only one now in existence, it's future as a viable speaker is not likely. Gotta find something to do with this - maybe a large document paperweight [:P]?

Chris

• 2 weeks later...

Jordan:

With your bump I will add some more details. I am currently in the process of "refining" the construction on these panels to create a kit so that perspective parties can have the panels/pieces pre-made rather than rolling their own. One refinement is to make the parts from MDF, which is heavy, but preferred because of it's density. The other is to build tops and bottoms with slots and screw recesses so that the vertical chamber, rear and side panels can fit into them rather than just against them. I also plan to develop a "single piece" throat splitter.

I will have some more pics and info to share within a week; there has been some additional time spent on cutting proto pieces, but I've yet to create the entire package and/or second proto build. Stay tuned for more.

Chris

• 1 month later...

Hi guys:

I am sorry for the delay on this. I have a valid excuse in that I really beat the living crap out of my ears just over three weeks ago while listening to a Cornforte and the SLS on a two hour "high dB" fest - STILL suffering from some pretty radical tinnitus in the left ear (which is there - all the time - at varying levels).

Sob story aside, I had given some time to the SLS with a variety of source materials (though not really enough) but to do it justice, I was really waiting (and hoping) for my ear to calm down to the point where I could give it a fair listen again. I feel very bad - I was happy to jump on Dana's project, but time and then plain stupidity jumped in the way. The speaker deserves a fair evalaution, which I hope to give it. I guess at age 47 (B-day tomorrow), I REALLY need to learn my limitations. If I never recover fully from this, it's a real loss, as music has been an imnportant part of my life.

I'll do what I can. Thanks for bringing it up.

Chris