Looking for a sub recommendation.....

maxg

Say about $1000 or less. Range of 20 Hz and above will be more than fine. Most important issue is speed. I want fast to match the speed of the Heresy 2's (but rather extend the range).

I tried out the KSW10 and whilst it did provide the speed it was a little insubstantial in volume. Thinking of a KSW 12 or one of the new ones (dont know the model numbers). Any suggestions for other sub makes (i.e. aside from Klipsch themselves)? I know nothing about them.

Should match the system as described in my signature.

------------------

2 * Heresy 2 (mains)

2 * Homemade horn speakers (rears)

Accuphase E211 amp.

Tube monoblocks with separate pre-amp (solid state).

Marantz CD6000 player

Sony NS900 SACD/DVD player

Stax Headphones

Humax 5400 digital satellite receiver

Sharp Video

32" Sony flat screen 16:9 TV

Mogami interconnects

Silver Synergistic speaker cable

Maxg, you've got some pretty nice gear listed. And with the Heresey 2 mains, you need some serious quality for your lows and match your sweet mid-range and highs.

Maybe a single SVS Model 20-39PC or some quality used gear. The discontinued Klipsch sub listed above might be a good deal, if your lucky. Alot of bad reviews on themcwm6.gif

------------------

A/V AMP: Yamaha DSP-A1

TV: 29" Sony Trinitron

DVD: Toshiba SD9200

CDP: Denon DCM-370

MAIN: Klipsch Heresey II

CTR: Klipsch KSF-C5

REAR: Infinity SM-65

(crap)

SUB: Infinity BU-1 (crap)

This message has been edited by Rob Curran on 11-28-2001 at 04:47 PM

Been recommended the REL Strata 3.

Anyone got any comments or experience with this sub?

I am a little concerned about the idea of a 10" sub rather than a larger one - especially as my room is about 16' by 20' leading through an arch into the kitchen 12' by 15'.

Would this unit get lost in the room? Unfortuately the supplier is not able to give me an audition at home and is the sole supplier here. Not keen on ordering such a large item over the net.

------------------

2 * Heresy 2 (mains)

Accuphase E211 amp.

Marantz CD6000 player

Stax Headphones

Sharp Video

Mogami interconnects

Max-

I'll throw my $0.02 in with Stu on the Paradigm PW2200. I have one matched up with my Forte IIs as part of a 7-ch system and it does very well, both musically and for HT punch. I am sure SVS would be good too, I just haven't broken down to try them. Looking forward to hearing the new Klipsch Reference subs.

As far as break-in...I don't think mine took anywhere near 4 months. I bought mine new in California and the salesman ran it for about 2-3 days in their reference room to break it in for me. Hooked it up and loved it ever since.

This message has been edited by jhawk92 on 11-29-2001 at 03:42 PM

maxg,

I hope I didn't offend in my post concerning your SACD experience when I expressed my dislike of Accuphase gear.

In terms os asub I must say that I am really pleased with my REL Stadium II. I think the Stadium is bigger (and unfortunately more expensive) than the Strata, but it strikes me as quite musical and blends rather well with my Khorns. Perhaps buying a used REL sub might be an option?

Good luck with your purchase.

Wolfram

------------------

The latest survivor of the dangerous tube bug!

system:

1973 Khorns with ALK crossovers

REL Stadium II sub

Cayin 743 D integrated tube amp

McIntosh Mc 2105

McIntosh C 29

McIntosh MR 77

McIntosh MCD 7007

Thorens 520S

SME 3012-R

Ortofon SPU Classic GM E

Cyrus aEQ 7 phono stage with PSX-R power supply

Alternative speakers:

Quad ESL 63

Dubai - we are now replying to each other in 2 forums (people will start to talk!!).

BTW - I am unoffendable when it comes to expressing your personal preferences. I like Accuphase (for some forms of music) and my tubes for others. That you dont like accuphase helps to explain why they are not the only amps on the market!!

Probably best to ignore my recommendation in the other forum (2 channel) about trying the 407 with your Horns. I only put it in as a friend of mine has that exact setup and it blows me away every time.

Still, as a lowly Heresy owner, I am probably more easily moved than you should be.

------------------

2 * Heresy 2 (mains)

Accuphase E211 amp.

Marantz CD6000 player

Stax Headphones

Sharp Video

Mogami interconnects

maxg,

I suppose I should have checked this thread first before replying the one in the 2 channel section. Now people will certainly talk Biggrin.gif.

I haven't had a chance yet to listen to the Heresy, but a reliable friend has told me thatt he considers them together with a good sub as a very good alternative to the bigger heritage speakers. So try a REL (though I admit that if it wasn't for the lack of $$$ I would certainly be tempted by the SVS CS-Ultra due to the reviews it has received on this board. On the other hand I prefer a powered sub and that is still under development, but once SVS got it ready and I am hopefully more affluent....Wink.gif

Wolfram

------------------

The latest survivor of the dangerous tube bug!

system:

1973 Khorns with ALK crossovers

REL Stadium II sub

Cayin 743 D integrated tube amp

McIntosh Mc 2105

McIntosh C 29

McIntosh MR 77

McIntosh MCD 7007

Thorens 520S

SME 3012-R

Ortofon SPU Classic GM E

Cyrus aEQ 7 phono stage with PSX-R power supply