"New" Heresy Pair Find a Home

kdcarroll

It seems my LONG search has finally drawn to a close; after seeking a Heresy pair for my two-channel rig in just about ALL the wrong places, I will soon be the PROUD owner of an 1980 Heresy pair. I have so many people to thank, most of all Bob Crites. He was nice enough to take a break in his busy day and drop me a note when he was approached by a fellow Arkansan who wanted to part with these jewels. I came periously close to quiting my job, such was my desire to hear these speakers! By Christmas, I hope to have them returned from Mountain Home, rebuilt crossovers installed and serenading the house.

I have the usual nasty stories about eBay. After a year or so, I am convinced that trying to buy Heritage speakers in this manner is a fool's errand. If the dangers of shipping aren' t enough, whenever you do find a pair close enough to "go get"; some professional buyer pushes the price envelope or uses better eBay buying technology. I can't help but be irritated by the idea of someone buying speakers to resell, while I'm trying to fill a lifelong dream.

I am as excited as a child at Christmas. I can't wait to hear the heritage sound. Thanks again to all who "enjoyed" this search with me; especially Bob Crites!

My Best! K

• Moderators

Congratulations! I agree about buying these for resale. It's tough to watch and even tougher to personally lose to one.

Yes Congratulations!

About the resale thing, I hate it even more when you see empty cabinets, then all the drivers and crosovers all in different auctions from the same person. They tear them apart to make a few extra dollars.

I never thought of it until just now - the reason for the sale of drivers/crossovers/cabinets as seperate parts for financial gain. I guess if you overlook the greed, the idea of someone "ressurecting" a set of speakers is a beautiful thing.

A story I heard last week; I'm paraphrasing, so any errors are my own: Dan Ross, a faculty member at Arkansas State and close friend of PWK, was traveling to the board meeting in Hope. He was picked up at the airport by PWK, and driven to Hope. As they drew closer to the "plant", a rumble could be heard which Dr. Ross described as akin to a gravel crusher. Dan asked PWK if that was the concrete company accross the street, and Mr. Klipsch replied, "nope, I'm afraid that's us". Dan asked what all the noise was, and PWK explained that "they were testing drivers over the weekend". It seems the drivers could not be placed in PWK creations until they had been run "wide open" with white noise all weekend. Only then would PWK consider the driver good enough to place in his speaker. Loud enough during this test to be heard through the sealed door, out in the parkinglot, in a running automobile.

I haven't heard of this kind of devotion in a long time - something I see mirrored in the devotion of those who have consumed the product. Klipsch products aren't things to make money on; they are a man's life creation, and something that should be treated with at least a degree of respect.

Sad we all at summer's passing.

Thanks again to all! I'm cancelling classes and leaving on Wednesday to go pick them up. Even if my trip is far shorter than many speaker journeys detailed here, it will be amazing to me.

Ken