xbox 360 sound via optical to DD 5.1-> 5.1 THX

erickoegle

I currently have this connected using an optical cable to my DD 5.1. My problem is that whenever I play a game, it seems like the rear sound is immensly louder than my fronts. If I watch a dvd through digital coax using these same settings, the sound sounds normal. I have not tried using the digital optical cable from my DVD player to see if it sounds "normal," so that could be a start for me. Has anyone else experienced this problem of having the rear channels louder than the front ones?

It is normal when I am running a movie. But in the game, the rear sounds are soo intense, I have to turn down the gain for the rears, where I don't have to do that when watching a movie.

Setting this is not really a problem because the DD 5.1 has like 6 presets or something, but i think it is kind of strange why i have to do this.

Hmmm...I don't see this same issue. I will say that I do notice MORE sound coming out of the rears (i.e. they are more active than most movies)...but they don't seem too loud.

My guess is you have tuned your system by ear? The best way to do it is to get a radio shack SPL meter (about $44 ,make sure you get the analog version), and set all your speaks to the same level with your receiver at 0..usually using the receivers built-in tones or the tones from a calibration disc. This will give you the best imaging, and I have found that it works well across my videogame systems, dvd, hdtv, etc. You will see a huge improvement in imaging this way too...since object placement in the soundtage is much more accurate when the speakers are all firing at the correct levels relative to each other.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...