Epic Series????

sgantt

It is only my second time here, so I am learning. It just seems that most enthusiasts here do not appreciate the Epic Series. The series has even disappeared from the website. Almost like the company thinks they were flops. It is impossible to get the manufacturers advice on center, rear, and sub matching for home theaters. I have a set of CF4's and think that they could be the best speakers made for today's music (linkin Park, Staind, and the likes). The KHorns didn't even do for me what these did. Please enlighten me on what imperfections I seem to be missing.

I agree with you. I have a pair or cf4's and got some 80's cornwalls because some people told me that they would blow the Epic's away........Well here I have the two side by side and ( TO ME ) The CF4's do not fail in comparrison. I am about to go crazy trying to figure out wich ones sound the best. I have A B tested,moved them around you name it. In no way blasting the cornwalls, but they definitly have a better low end for movies..... The KV-4 is the recomended center if you can find one and the KLFC7 seemes to be used by alot of people. I am getting which ever one of these I find the best deal on first.

sgantt.....The Epic's were only made for two years so most of the people on this board have either never seen them or heard them. I think anyone that has had the opportunity to listen to the Epic's would agree with you that they are great speakers. I've been on this board for awhile and I've never seen anything but praise for this series. Are they mentioned as much as the heritage speakers...NO, but anyone that has heard them respects them. Remember they offer a different type sound than most other Klipsch. To some that's a good thing and to others it's not. I happen to love the sound my CF-2's deliver. So just relax and enjoy those great speakers of yours! later

sgantt, johnny24c,

I don't think it's so much a case of people thinking the Epic series are not good speakers, or that they don't compare with other speakers in their price category. It's just that the Epic series are DIFFERENT sounding than most of the other Klipsch line. The Epic series was something of a different direction for Klipsch - focus more on smooth frequency response, detailed high end, stable and accurate imaging, while retaining dynamic range and high sensitivity. I have a pair of CF4, and I think they sound really, really good. However, I also have a pair of La Scalas. If you put the La Scalas and CF4s next to each other and play some tunes, you might come to the conclusion that they are both really good speakers, but you will CERTAINLY come to the conclusion that they sound DIFFERENT. WAY different. If you really, really like the things the CF4 does well, you probably won't care too much for the colorations that are inescapable with the La Scala, nor will you be willing to accept the La Scalas limited bass and comparitivly poor soundstaging and imaging. However, if you like the things that the La Scala excels at, primarily lifelike dynamics that extend from the lowest La Scala frequencies (using "lowest" in a somewhat lenient fashion here... Smile.gif ) to the highest. Compared to the La Scala, the CF4 sounds restrained and, uh, "held back".

Most of the people that buy Klipsch speakers are buying into the Klipsch "house sound", as originally defined by the KHorn and its siblings, and of all the speakers Klipsch has made, the Epic series probably stray the furthest from that particular sound.

They're great speakers. They're just not your typical Klipsch speakers.

------------------

Music is art

Audio is engineering

Ray's Music System

I have a pair of KLF-20 in my HT room and a pair of EPIC CF-1 that are in my living room. We do not use the living room that much so I don't get to listen to the EPICs that much any more. The EPICs to me sound much better than the LEGENDs for music. I really love the sound from them and have considered moving them to my HT room to see how they sound for HT.

The EPICS are what first got me into Klipsch back in 1986 when I compared them to a pair of Polk towers. The EPICs were SO much better I decided to buy them even though they were almost twice as much.

Thanks everyone for the feedback. I encourage others to reply also. Mr. Garrison, could you please elaborate on different sound and held back. Put it in absolute newbie terms, because that is what I am.

I guess what I amm getting at is, are different types of Klipshes good for different types of music?

sgantt,

No, I wouldn't say that different types of Klipsch speakers are better for different types of music - I'd say different types of Klipsch speakers are better for different types of PEOPLE.

Everyone has their own idea of what the "perfect" audio system would sound like. There is no such thing as the perfect audio system. That being a given, the question becomes What type of imperfections matter the most to Me? What am I unwilling to accept in a speaker that must, of necessity, be a compromise compared to this "perfect ideal" speaker? If the speaker sounds really alive, dynamic, true to timbre and tone, plays loudly with not a lot of power, and in general is very close to my ideal, but it does not have a lot of deep bass, can I accept that? Or would I be pick a different speaker, one with deeper bass, but give up something else in order to get that deeper bass that the other speaker is missing?

These questions can only be answered by each individual, and only by listening to speakers. I could try and describe what I think the differences are between the CF4 and the La Scala, but (a) I'm not sure I can really articulate it very well, and (B) even if I tried, it's quite possible that words that I use might mean one thing to me and something very different to you. Also, abberations that I described as "unacceptably compromised" might not even be noticeable to you. Take my La Scalas, for example. A lot of "high end" reviewers will tell you that the midrange of the La Scala (or Belle or Klipschorn or any other horn loaded speaker) is "hopelessly colored" and totally unacceptable. Okay, fine. What does "hopelessly colored" mean? I think I know what they mean by "colored", but I don't think whatever it is that they're hearing bothers me as much as it does them - I really LIKE the midrange of my La Scalas. Yes, if I listen to someone's voice on something like a Thiel or Magnaplaner or Martin Logan (which my local Take 5 Audio shop here in New Haven have on display), then I go listen to the same thing at home, the voice sounds different. And? I still think the way the voice comes across on my system is more "alive" (again, whatever that means...) than it is on those other systems.

I like the CF4. They're great speakers. I just like the La Scalas better. Why? Because I like them better. I know that's not real helpful, but trying to explain why is a poor substitute for listening.

Sorry if this sounds like a cop out, but please try and listen to whatever speakers you think you're interested in before you make an irrevokeable transaction.

Ray

------------------

Music is art

Audio is engineering

Ray's Music System

• 2 weeks later...

My brother-in-law and I each purchased a pair of CF-4s at the same time. You could say we got a volume discount on them. We have not been disappointed. They perform HT and music duty great. I blow people away with some Kenny Rankin jazz, Pink Floyd then pop the pod race or light saber duel from Phantom Menace in and remind them not to drool on the leather. I have always been a John Williams fan and lone out my collection to people. When they hear JW on the CF-4s they get upset because they were missing alot of the music or didn't realize how good it sounds. It will be a long time before they get upgraded.