Thorens TD-124 FS, Sota Sapphire wanted

sheltie dave

Just a heads up in the St. Louis area...

there is a running Thorens TD124 turntable, SME II tonearm, with an Ortafon cartridge a friend will be putting up for sale next week(with warranty), and

another friend is looking to buy a Sota Sapphire turntable, if there is one for sale. As usual with turntables, pickup would be preferred with any transaction. Price on the Thorens will be in "a reasonable range," as compared to EBay.

Triceratops, the table is in excellant cosmetic shape, and the plinth cabinet and dustcover are well above average, tho there are a few scuffs. I'll try to get photos up tomorrow after I visit. Overall I'd go with a 7, although the owner did not splurge on a high flying base. The veneer is in the light teak/light walnut family. You are second, John, and if it rolls to you, it's no problem to hold it for a month.

Shipping would not be a problem, Tri, but I'd almost recommend disassembly and putting the table and tonearm in a larger Anvil/Pelican roadcase. They are impregnable, so it would be a challenge to get everything immobilized only. I don't know where my friend will fall on pricing it, as "reasonable" has gone between $600 - $2200 on TD124s in the past six months, varying based on arm/cartridge combos and what kind of plinth the table sits in. As with the photos, when I get the info I'll pass it along.

There is a non running 124 on EBay now, but I haven't tracked it since I saw it

Still waiting to find out the price, John. The plinth is a veneered light walnut.

I'll let Tri and you know in the thread ASAP, when I get the info.

Last night Saint Louis U beat Missouri State on a last second tip, tonight Illinois beats Missouri, and tomorrow night North Carolina comes in to play Saint Louis U. I'm in hoops heaven this week!