LaScala cossovers Help on my first pair of Klipsch

redd

PtvGcYf8GO4CumNevGaobYVVuDVM.jpg

N5gsuPOm55g2acf347rofz0YDzBb.jpg

Th3Dl3TjCVwEET5pvBj8aENfxCSl.jpg

my first pair of Klipsch Big Smile and i got them on craiglist but looking at the crossovers and all the others i have seen i guess these are the early ones there is a pair of LaScala

i think they are AL crosssoveres there at $77 now what is a fair price or what do i need to do to up date them i do have a crown ajustable 3way crossover that i have KNOW

idea where i would start the settings at ******* any help

Well, hard to tell where to start on those.  The top is not Klipsch.  I can't tell much from your pictures, but the midrange driver is not a K-55.  The tweeter may be a T-35 and that is equivalent to the Klipsch K-77, but what is in the upper right corner of the top part  Looks like added tweeters?? or possibly some L-pads??  Don't know what that is.

All the Klipsch crossovers you could use expect to see a K-55 midrange driver, K-77 tweeter and a K-33 woofer.  In any case, the AL would not be a good choice since it is not highly regarded in the world of Klipsch crossovers.

Bob Crites

The upper right looks like an L-PAD assembly that radio shack used to sell. I dont see an autoformer.

We would need a close up of the xover to comment on it.

How do they sound?

Can you tell if there are 4 or 8 ohm drivers used as woofers? I am going to guess the woofers are 8 ohms. Something to keep in mind if you decide to replace the xovers with stock or after market Klipsch xovers.

You need the right horn wich is the exponantial horn with K55 driver. MF XO is 400 HZ. Martinelli manufactures for ALK Engineering a wooden exponantial horn for the K55.With the correct horn your Xo sonic properties will be matched. An alternative would be the Altec 311 horn wich starts at 300 Hz and a 290 driver. As for the ALK Horn they mentioned having to make the hole bigger for the La Scala.

http://www.alkeng.com/

http://www.woodhorn.com/BMS/bms_compressiondrivers.htm

post-18581-13819317997216_thumb.jpg

I'll make a few comments.

First. Don't panic, but to there is a lot of "Klipsch" missing. OTOH, there is much to say that the basic approach is not so far away from Klipsch that they don't deserve TLC. It could be a home brew unit where the only true Klispch component is the mid horn.

That does look like a real K-400 mid horn. Does it say Klipsch on the top? The only think close is the Speakerlab version and I'm guessing it is not that.

I think those fin type things were used on the -23 rather than -24 EV driver. Klipsch used an advanced model of the -24 for the K-55-M. Someone posted an internal EV model number. It could work as well as drivers Klipsch used. You can read the model number of the back which we see in the photo.

The L-Pads look like something I bought from Parts Express. RS may have been selling them too. It looks like the wires go from the X over to the L-Pads and then to the drivers.

The crossover components are certainly not Klipsch. Maybe the schematic was copied. But maybe they are no worse or better electically than an A or AL version, save for the lack of an autotransformer (which is why the L-Pads are there).

I don't know whether the bass bin is Klipsch or not. It could be home brew. You might be able to infer something if the top cabinet (which is too tall to be Klipsch) matches the bottom. If the bottom matches the top, it probably is not Klipsch.

The final issue is the bass driver. You'll have to open up the bottom hatch and see what there is to be seen.

Again, these could be worked with and you'd have something to appreciate.

Gil

Thanks for the comment Tom. It is good to hear from you.

I'm talking a bit from memory on the drivers.

BTW, I see you have a new abode. Congrats on the relocation. I still have fond memories of your and Linda's hospitality on several occasions here in Chicago.

For others reading this, Tom is grand scholar on American Civil War history (and otherwise is a good guy). I'd like to see him use his time getting a Ph.D. on this subject. And then he can tell the other Ph.D.s why they're wrong.

Best,

Gil

wow thanks for all the help and i'am going to look at them and pay for them i will look close at them

i will pulll the trap door and check the bass driver and hope it is the right one and go from there

i have been looking for a long time for me 13 mo. and sure don't want to spend 700 on junk

this fourm has been a BIG help and its good people that make it good THANK YOU ALL

i hope the bass bins are real if so i think they have a ###### stamped in the top right edge ?

thanks again REDD

If they are real Klipsch LS bass bins, there should be a serial number stamped in the end 'grain' of the 3/4" plywood. You might find a serial number on the edge of the top side or some initials or USA stamped along the sides near the top. Letters are about 3/8" high.

Those mid horns do look a bit like the Speakerlab K400 copies. Are they cast metal or fibreglass/composite? If the insides are polished black fibreglass resin, they are probably Speakerlabs.

Could be made to sound nice, but for $700 you should be able to get closer to the real thing (unless the guys figure out that those mid drivers are highly prized)

M

SInce you are coming from PA, you will have to pass thru central jersey. There is a forum member on your way who want's one of the pairs. Can you 2 hook up and help each other out.

wow what nice people i have had HELP me here i got the clone skeakers home

and the pair of cabs. you gaveme thank you again olll the outher guy you gave a pair of LaScalas cabs to when i droped them off he was knot there but his room mates put them in the basement

i fired the clones up and they sound ok i am going to check out the componets and maybe use some of them in THE REAL CAB

THANK YOU AGAIN FOR ALL YOUR HELP

the mid is a 1824 ev with a SFW fiberglass horn ///????

ill call tus to order a pair of woofers

i may go aftermarket for the Xover and tweeter just not sure its $600 plus for a for each up grade kit per speaker so at this point i know ill put the oem woofers in @$129 each and they don't come with the up grade

ooooooooooooo and as per you advice on slicing the tops off the clones that is going to happed WOW DOUBLE BASS BINS

Redd,

Don't cut up the clones, yet. You could buy
the correct squawker horn from Klipsch (K-401) for about $50 each a
little while ago. Maybe still can. Your clones can easily
acomodate an Altec 511B squawker horn and it's a very good horn for not
much $$$ on eBay.

You don't want Type AL crossovers. Buy/build one of
the other designs discussed here. Double bass bins will require
different woofers. The K-33 runs about 6 ohms in the horn most of
the time, but drops to 3.2 at a couple of points. Two in parallel
will be 1.6 ohms, a tough load for any amp at high power. They
ill require modified crossovers, too.

OTOH, 2 bass horns WILL increase bass output by as much
as 6 dB and if placed side by side, the horn mouths will behave as
though each were larger and will produce a bit more low bass.