Remembering those who have lost...

SilverSport

• Moderators

GOD BLESS THEM...............................and.............DON'T EVER FORGET...............always remember POW/MIA's..........there are still lost comrades out there.................

Exactly Oldbuckster.

When Michael was here we went to the D-DAY museum, their should be one set up for every war or conflict every military person was ever in, to show a little of what these brave people went through and for so many who never came back home.

Not just the POW / MIA's , every one who served should be remembered, where would we be without them ?

THANK YOU

• Moderators

GOD BLESS THEM...............................and.............DON'T EVER FORGET...............always remember POW/MIA's..........there are still lost comrades out there.................

For those of you that have not visited the National D-Day Museum in New Orleans (which by the way is part of our Smithsonian Institute) it is a must do if you are ever in the area.

The trip to the D-Day museum was our first visit, as well as Michael's first visit to the museum. Our six year old grandson did not move or speak during the entire 45 minute documentary introduction. His attention was focused solely on the documentary. The entire forty five minutes was original footage from World War II. Other than the sniffles (crying) from the viewers in the movie viewing room you could have heard a pin drop. Excellent footage.

After exiting the introductory movie I made it a point to go back to the admissions area to shake the hand of the World War II veteran that is still giving of himself every day by acting as an ambassador for all visitors to the museum. The museum is staffed by paid employees as well as volunteer veterans.

Our grandson, Buddy was standing beside me when I shook the hand of the World War II veteran. Buddy overheard me telling the vet in a somewhat tearful voice "thank you for everything you have done in service to our country." When we walked away Buddy asked me, "Maw Maw why did you tell that man thank you and shake his hand". I explained that he was one of the many "armymen" in the movie we had just watched. Buddy said, "Maw Maw I want to shake his hand and tell him thank you too." A tear jerker for me and a true heartwarming experience for our veteran still serving as an ambassador at the museum.

The memorabilia housed in this museum is most impressive. Everything from actual tanks, mines, rifles, matchbooks and anything in between. All authentic memorabilia which has been obtained mostly through private donors.

I have always respected and appreciated the job our military does of protecting our country, however my level or respect and appreciation was greatly elevated by touring this museum. Thanks for the special request to visit the museum Michael.

This museum should be on everyone's must see list.