First Heritage Experience, have some questions...

organ

Hey guys, I've been listening to a pair of 1982 Cornwall for the past 2 months and I DIG them. The best speakers I've heard so far. I was running a pair of RF-35 for several years before the Corns.

OK, I've done a lot of reading around here and noticed some people talking about updating drivers and networks. Should I replace the tweets, mid horns, and woofers to a more recent one? I took the back off to take a look and the x-over seems very clean. It has some big oil type caps I think. Do you guys think it should be replaced? Where can I source parts from?

Thanks!

• Like 1

hey happy holidays

start with the caps, you can go oil, film or poly

i used auracaps, theta film/foil type....i think I have a hybrid crossover right now utilizing both.

the drivers should be fine unless they were damaged from misuse or a bad amp.

the caps are really all you should do after that your modding

enjoy

Thanks, Travis, and a happy holiday to you too. I've read about a guy name Bob that build and sell x-overs. Where can I get more info?

These Cornwalls continue to blow me away. It's the closest thing I've heard to live music. I can't wait to try a 300B or 2A3 amp on them.

• Like 1

Thanks K/Y. I think I'm going to order replacements after the holidays. I'll probably re-wire the internals as well.

Glad to hear you're enjoying yours too. I just can't get over the way they handle dynamics and the sound is so effortless. What I like most about them is the super large images they project.

Travis,

If I remembers correctly, I have the B2 x-over. I opened it up on the first day.

• Like 1

I have the B-2 networks that had the HUGE gelcaps, and were replaced w/sonic caps, but I was a little dissappointed about the bass response (too much resistance), so I am sending them back to compare a set of networks (gel vs sonics). The squawker/tweeter resonance response was fantastic w/the new caps though. We'll see when they come back, but I lost significant bass/mid-bass response below approx 300hz. Sometimes these things happen, but maybe I may go back to gelcaps. Bob is going to let me know after he evaluates the (2) networks.

Do you have the K51V midhorns also? Just curious.

oh man, can't remember which mid-horn I have. It's been 2 months since I opened up the one speaker. It's the metal mid-horn installed from the inside, if that helps.

I'm very interested to hear what x-over you decide to go with. I think we have the same stock x-overs. I posted oil caps on my previous post because that's what I thought they were. Please let me know how it goes. What sets the gel caps apart from others, other than size?

• Like 1

Congratulations on the Cornwalls, I have a similar vintage.

You have mentioned several possible mods; new caps, fancy caps, new style of crossover, fancy internal wire etc. I will be a bit of a heretic in my suggestions.

You will probably get an improvement if you replace the 25 year old caps. It can be cheap and simple and there are others who can either do this or help with this.

It is questionable if you will get any difference if you use fancy caps.

It is questionable if you will get any difference if you use fancy wire.

If you change the style of crossover (crossover points, order of the filter / number of elements), you will get a difference; however, it may or may not be an imnprovement.

However, if you have not done so yet. You will definitely get changes and sometimes improvements if you do the following.

Relocate the speakers and the listening chair: experiment, experiment, experiment

Bring an extra carpet (or carpet pad) into the room, or remove one.

Re-arrange the furniture, especially if it is something with a good deal of stuffing,

Spend some time toeing the speakers in or out, or moving them closer (or further away) from a corner or a wall.

Again, experiment with all these suggestions. All of my suggestions will make a difference in the sound and it will be sometimes difficult to judge whether the change is an improvemnt or not, so be systematic. But seriously, have reasonable expectations regarding the crossover etc.

Good Luck,

-Tom

Thank you for the excellent post, Tom.

Yes, for the past month or so, I've been playing around with placement, furniture arrangement, toe-in/out, etc. I've finally got them dialed in. It's amazing what toe in/out can do to the size of the soundstage. They needed less toe in than I thought.

What I didn't mention in my previous posts is that I'm extremely satisfied with what I already have and could easily live with it. It's just that when I read some archived stuff, I thought that replacements of the old parts are necessary. The caps is something I can do myself. I'm pretty good at soldering. I'm still in the process of restoring my Dynaco ST-70. Do you think the stock caps are on their way out or should they still be good?

• Like 1

btw, here are some pics on the Polk forum when I first received them. Mind the mess. I was still in the process of cleaning up the rig and it looks much neater now. The only change in equipment since I took the pics is the pre amp. That little ASL was just a temproary thing while my Golden Tube was out for repair. Got it back a few months ago. The mono blocks are 22w/ch SET using a single 6C33C-B output tube on each unit.

http://www.polkaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?t=45176&highlight=cornwall

• Like 1

The stock caps will be somewhat high in ESR (equivalent series resistance) by now.  At least every one of the hundreds I have rebuilt that age and older have been that way.  In general, expect caps to last about 20 years.  That goes for caps on the shelf or being used in crossovers.  What the new caps should do is tighten up the actual crossover frequency points and give somewhat more output to both the midrange and tweeter.  Expect no audible change in the woofer output with new caps.  

Bob Crites