7 channels tube amplification for HT?

Guest " "

Why would I want to burn my house down with 7+ red hot anodes with thousands of volts DC collectively running through them only to have no bass in my explosions? [6]

hmmm....don't know...why would you need to?

Do we think that surround channels, when used with a sub woofer, have the bass explosion mission?

7.1 is seven channels plus 1 LF.

5.1 is 5 channels plus 1 LF.

On my SS 7.1 my LF is set to 80hz.

Surely you are not implying that a tube amp can not function below 80hz as surround channels?

btw, I have 2 class A mono block tube amps that came stock with 2800uf's of capacitance in the power supply, have troidal power and output transformers, and have plenty of bass explosion. 15hz - 20khz +- 2db, 20hz - 20khz +- .75 db

If three front, three side and three back channels, with multiple subs, all with solid-state amplifiers, can reproduce a 3D sonic holograph better than a tube amplifier driving two mighty Klipsch classic corner horns, I would sure love to hear it and might want to switch.

Colin is online. Last active: 12-22-2006, 1:34 PMColin

3D Imaging takes on a new meaning in 7.1 or 5.1 than in 2 channel stereo.

2 channel stereo imaging is detail and sound stage in front of the listening position, provided you are sitting in what's commonly refered to as the sweet spot.

In 7.1 or 5.1 HT, imaging is a sound stage that is created all around you, and not sweet spot dependent. Specificlly, sounds can be perceived as passing from your rear right to your rear left, or any other direction. This requires exact placement of speakers both position and height.

Colin is online. Last active: 12-22-2006, 1:34 PMColin

3D Imaging takes on a new meaning in 7.1 or 5.1 than in 2 channel stereo.

2 channel stereo imaging is detail and sound stage in front of the listening position, provided you are sitting in what's commonly refered to as the sweet spot.

In 7.1 or 5.1 HT, imaging is a sound stage that is created all around you, and not sweet spot dependent. Specificlly, sounds can be perceived as passing from your rear right to your rear left, or any other direction. This requires exact placement of speakers both position and height.

There is a little more to it..

First of all the source material is important. If it is engineered like crap, it is hard to make it sound excelent.

Second, all HT processors are not created equal, just like in 2CH, cheap preamp vs blueberry. For HT I prefer the Lexicon processors.

Third, all Amps are not created equal and will not sound the same. You have to find a SS sound you like. In my case, I run 5 vintage McIntosh SS amps in my HT. The smooth MC sound with the power for any bass is what I prefer. The vintage MC amps will not sound anything like a Yamaha receiver.

As for tubes, SET is out for sure, unless your speakers are 5 feet from your head[:)]. You would need pentode power for HT.

Personally, I don't think HT is the place for tube rolling and tweekeing.

JM

I am with JM here for the most part. All tubes in HT would be a painindeazz - and oh, the EXPENSE to do it properly[:o]

We could use seven NOSValves VRDs to run the seven speakers. Those have sufficient power and authority at 60 killer watts to carry the day in HT....or consider another similarly stout (and therefore not cheap) amplifier (Mac 275MKIV as a possible starting point). I would cheat and run big SS on the subs.

We would need a 7 channel tube preamp, a unit I'm not sure exists (I've seen a 5 channel, though). To me, a tube system MUST have a tube preamp to get the real benefits of tubes.....even if you go tube pre with SS amps in a 2 channel kit there are gains to be had vs. all SS. So this kills the project, for the most part. Yeah, we've thought about it while reading the forum as a fleeting "what if" - but it's just not realistic or worth the trouble/expense. Can't get a tube pre!

But what IS realistic is this: Take a 6 Cornwall home theater (older Krell HT preamp driving SS Mac power amps) and do the following:

Install a JuicyMusic Peach preamp (designed to allow 2 channel from the tubed Peach and HT run from your existing HT prepro at the flick of a switch). Then install a pair of VRDs or similar quality/power tube monoblocks to the main two channels (like a Mac 275MKIV, etc). Now you have an HT that allows the usual thrills of a multichannel presentation, as well as a KILLER 2 channel tube rig all in one - no unhooking anything to go between the two. Just flip the switch on the Peach to run the proper preamp (HT or Peach) and allow your main channels to be driven by big, liquid, powerful TUBES.

So all of you HT fiends who are tired of the 2 channel guys ribbin' ya - DO BOTH, and have the best of both worlds. This is how I plan to get the best two channel performance out of an HT rig that kicks in every other area. Don't even think of selling a killer HT rig for lack of the best two channel performance - tube it like this! I'll be sure to let ya know how it all turns out.......