marantz 2275

turbobusa65

Yes sir, I heard ya! keep the volume down to a sane level, and make shure i,m not working the amp/reciever too hard. klipsch notes these are 8 ohm compatible, but I already had an idea that these monsters were going to give her a workout!!! There is a set of left and right pre out's on the back, not shure what I can do with those? need to do more homework! THANK'S MR. DUKE!!

Loudspeaker Loads

Where things rapidly get out of hand is with the loudspeaker load -

it is not resistive (or even close to resistive) for 99% of all

loudspeakers. ('cept ..Magnepan's )( Electrostatic ) The impedance and phase angle of a loudspeaker varies,

and as phase angle changes from zero degrees (voltage vs. current),

dissipation increases further.

For the 3 Ohm case, a reactive load (at 45° phase angle) can be

simulated by using a 477uH inductor in series with the 3 ohm load (for

a frequency of 1kHz). With this combination, the Peak transistor Dissipation is 200W, with an Average of almost 42.5W - note that the Peak Transistor Power has DOUBLED, and the average has increased by

1.414. Of particular interest is that the maximum power occurs at the

voltage zero crossing point, when the maximum voltage is across the

device. This is what causes transistors to Fail, and the higher the

voltage, the greater the risk.

soa-f2-3.png

Careful I may start callin ya "Doctor duke" lol. Oooh! I thought the "S. O. A." meant that you had to run up to the amp, grab holt of the volume knob, and skin that sucker back. Then jump back away from it to the, "Safe Observation Area" so the, "Smmmmmmoke!!!" dont burn yo eyes! Sorry I could'nt help myself ! lol 'rolling" lol !! P.S. Thank's for the lesson !!!

Correct .....

Heat takes away any Safety Margin the transistor had in Dissapation ...

but ..

what makes ...Heat ..??

Low Ohms .......[:(] ....................

you won't see a 4 ohm output on ANY vintage S/S amp...... all are 8 ohm Rated.....to keep current down

Soooooooooo... enjoy the 2275 .........

but, don't crank'er

RF-7's were 8 ohm speakers ...... Please educate me. The reason I ask is that I have an sx-1280 and Sansui G9000DB

7's are hard on lotsa amps ...

8 Ohm Rated...........but they drop as low as 2.8 ohms in operation, depending on frequency ...

see the 3 Ohm example above, for what it does to Power Dissapation

Lucky for you, both of them amps are probably coasting along at ear bleed levels

Mr.Duke! This is exactly where I wanted this thread to go. So what are my options, taking into consideration I dont have a ton of money to drop on a whole new rig. "for example" could I add powered sub to help carry some of the load? Can this be done with my marantz? Any comments would be very appericiated.

I'm thinking we're getting a little paranoid about blowing something up. If the receiver is in spec, you will be able

to produce a massive amount of sound without any problems. I would not get a sub unless you need additional bottom end. Listen first, make decisions later, once you determine how much loudness you need (or can stand).

My motto: crank and enjoy!

NP - The Godz - The Godz (LP)..............

Thank you all for the confirmed input everybody!!! Mr. duke thank you for all the technical information "WAY OVER my HEAD" though! lol And thanks for watching my back. The 2275 has killed two set's of speakers in the ten years I've had it. that's what caused me to buy these klipsch! I'll mind the volume, just gotta watch myself when I've had a few brewskis!