Heresy Pioneer receiver Technics TT Overload?

seti

I was at a friend house earlier this week and he was spinning some vinyl as we usually do. When he went to turn the volume up but the receiver just stopped and flashed the word overload. I am unfamiliar with Pioneer receivers so any advice is much appreciated. The system is Heresy IIs, Pioneer receiver don't know the model number, and a Technics 1200 turntable.

I wonder if this means input overload or output overload.

Output overload - Is he running one pair of speakers or 2 pairs? I had a set of Hersey II's once with the round speaker terminal cups and they said they were 4 ohm speakers in klipsch lettering. Perhaps his reciever has a setting that needs to be activated for 4 ohm speakers. I know my onkyo has such a setting.

Input overload - some phono inputs have settings for MM/47Kohms, MC/100ohms, MC/220ohms. They might ne a mis-match on the settings. Is he using a phono stage pre-amp?

It sounds to me that the "rumble" into the phono input created an overload to the output section. If the receiver has a subsonic filter or low frequency filter, this might help. It could also be from "acoustic feedback", sound from the speakers being put into the turntable, then reamplified. The woofers work hard and the amp sees this as a lot more power being used(clipping). You mentioned "turning it up", so that is a guess.