sun audio mono amps?

joessportster

Sam Tellig (thanks Coda), the chap who wrote the recent review of the LaScala IIs and bought them, drives the Scalas with Sun Audio 2A3 amps. I believe his are SET but he has raved over them for years.

If they are as good as or better than my Wright Mono 10 2A3PPs, they are winners in the 10 watt contest. One 2A3PP I'd love to hear is the one Dr Jeff designed and built a few of. I can't remember too many of those changing hands, must be pretty good.[;)]

One more note: PWK for years played PP 2A3 amps , Brook Model 12k on his Khorns.

Rick

the amps do appear to be very high quality and i cannot seem to find any info on them either, i also cant find another set for sale now , nor can i find info on a set that have sold thru completed sales........... they do have the top line transformers on them (tamradio), they are also very attractive amps, i cant seem to pull up sam telligs article

Joe

I'll tell you that review linked by Coda above would scare me right out of buying the PP version for sure. I have to say that is the first review I have read where the reviewer didn't seem to have a positive word to say about the product. Surprised the sh!t out of me. Great transformers are worthless if the circuit in front of them sucks.

Craig

i read the review that coda posted and it seemed to me that the guy had an axe to grind, at any rate i would never let 1 mans opinion sway my oun judgement, i have heard the amps and i beleive he was way off on his impressions, however i need more time with them in my setting to make a good review of my impressions, one thing i am finding for sure no-one is selling them on the used market and that tells me 1 thing if you oun them you dont want to sell them, and that speaks volumes in this audio market...........

joe

Well looks like the kit cost $958 and the assembled $1766 factory direct. Seems reasonable as heck to me if I have the exchange rates correct. But is say factory direct only to countries where no dealer exists. But then it goes on to give you shipping cost for north America and the amplifiers your interest in would cost $448 for shipping. The review mentioned a US distributer but the link is dead and no distributer exists in the US on the website.

If you heard these amps and like them I would just buy them new. It's your ears and opinion that matter in this! The build quality sure looks good to me. I still say the reviewers comments would scare the heck out of me. Enjoy the Music is not known to allow Axe grinding of any kind. In fact they tend to be really fair and balanced in reviews stating the good and the bad. Stereophile is the "all gear is great magazine" and especially if your an advertiser LOL!!

Craig

Hey I have an Idea it looks like they have a distributer in Athens, Greece maybe Max can get you some low down on the amps. Heck he may know some one that has them or could drop by the Greece distributer for a listen? I haven't seen Max posting in the last few days so maybe he is busy for the Holidays. He might be just the guy to chat with about these amps.

Craig

hey again craig, i saw the manuf. site and i also saw the amps for sale there, they are not the same as the mono blocks i am looking at, as far as that goes the article that we read is not about the same pair i am looking at either, the model # im looking at is sv-100 sk, i can only assume these are an earlier model, also the pair i am looking at were not for distrubution in the us they actually came from japan, a fella bought them over there and brought them back over here to the usa, of course i would want them checked out to make sure everything is up to par with them, whats your schedule like assuming you would even want to look at them. how long a back log do you have?????????? i really appreciate and respect your thoughts and comments on the subject of tubes your work aint bad either[:D]

joe

Joe,

Something interesting like that I will jump on within a few days of it arriving. The only way we could have a hold up is if something was indeed wrong with them and I had to custom order some part to correct the problem. Which is very unlikely! Something fresh and new makes the job enjoyable and something like that is usually only a couple hours max anyway. I just do it at the end of the day after completing what ever I have on the bench.

This sounds very interesting.

Craig

"Great transformers are worthless if the circuit in front of them sucks. "

Craig: I hear an echo of one of our ancient threads. Had to do with what better/more costly parts might or might not do for a given design. My observation then dealt with what you are saying about great iron as the final EXIT out of an otherwise 'challenged' circuit. Better parts will not make a poor design better, and can in fact make it sound all the worse. IOWs, I agree with what you indicated.

I have to mention that my saying this doesn't have anything to do with the Sun amps. I've seen many more positive reviews of them than negative.

Erik

Joe:

Another possibility if you want more power than a single-ended 2A3, might be the 300B DRD monoblocks from Welborne Labs. Parts quality is first-rate, including power and output transformers by Electra-Print. They have also gotten very good reviews.

Erik

edit: Here you go; also from Enjoy the Music: Scroll to Amplification: http://www.enjoythemusic.com/magazine/equipment/1006/bestof2006.htm

Complete review: http://www.enjoythemusic.com/magazine/equipment/0206/welborne_laboratories_300b.htm (note the comment about loudspeakers, crossovers, and impedance compensation networks)

Have not had the chance to hear the Sun's but purchased the Melody
Valve i2a3, a parallel 2a3 in push pull for 18 wpc. In conjunction
with 6sn7 driver and phase splitters this thing has completely brought
my rig to another level. Never have I heard the Belles or Cornwalls
perform to this level. The Belles in particular have become a much more
rich, much fuller sounding speaker, bass is spot on and much more
fullfilling. From top to bottom, depth of sound stage, full, meaty
sound, sticks on cymbals is completely right and right in the
room. Having owned or listened to EL34, 84, KT88 I can say to
this point the 2a3 with some power is a glorious sound.

Rich

"Great transformers are worthless if the circuit in front of them sucks. "

Craig: I hear an echo of one of our ancient threads. Had to do with what better/more costly parts might or might not do for a given design. My observation then dealt with what you are saying about great iron as the final EXIT out of an otherwise 'challenged' circuit. Better parts will not make a poor design better, and can in fact make it sound all the worse. IOWs, I agree with what you indicated.

I have to mention that my saying this doesn't have anything to do with the Sun amps. I've seen many more positive reviews of them than negative.

Erik

Erik,

Absolutely great parts is not going to fix a comprimised circuit. But in my case when it comes to transformers and buying an amp. I'll take the amp with great transformers and a compronmised circuit over a great circuit with trash transformer anyday. I can fix the compromised circuit inexpensively while only one way exist to fix a poor transformer (the trash bin). Great tranformers are not cheap. Give me that great iron!!

Craig