Deciding which Klipsch series to buy.

PoppaPump

Hi there, well I'm new here and am still learning the basics, but just need a few pointers on the best set of speakers to go with my new receiver. I just bought the Denon AVR-2807 and I believe its rated 110Watts per channel. I'm really interested in the Klipsch F-3 series but I dont know if they would put too much strain on my receiver since they are rated 150W. Should the F-3s be alright with the receiver I have? I suppose I could always go with the F-2s if it might mess something up down the road. Any tips would be greatly appreciated ;) Thanks again

Wattage ratings need to be taken with a grain of salt. The F-3 speakers are incredibly efficient, and if you were truly driving 110 watts into each of them, you'd be putting out about 121 decibels which is louder than virtually anyone is comfortable listening to. I've listened to the F-3 at Best Buy, albeit not in exactly ideal conditions, and they sounded very good even at loud levels. I'm not sure that receiver was hooked up to them, but Denon is a brand that usually matches up well with Klipsch speakers.

x2.....even w/o my peripherals (EQ, expanders, etc.), I only push my 120W Yamaha at 50-70% of full volume w/flat signal, and that is reaching the upper limits of the Cornwalls capabilities based on my setup.

Those Heritage series products are unbelievable, and unlike ANY HE speaker that I've ever witnessed. VERY EFFICIENT!

Not sure about the F's, but I would think they are just as efficient and responsive.

Yikes, the wattage rating of a speaker does not correlate to how
much power it draws from the reciever. Nor does the receiver rating
correlate to how much power it puts out. Kinda like the horsepower
rating for a car...just cuz the engine is rated at 500 HP doesn't mean
you drive with the gas pedal to the floor all the time.

The
sensitivity of the F3 is 97dB @ 1 watt / 1 meter. In other words, when
the receiver is putting out 1 watt of power, the speaker is going to be
97dB when measured at a distance of 1 meter. Everytime you double the
wattage to the speaker, its output will increase by 3dB. So 2W = 100dB,
4W = 103dB, 8W = 106dB,........., 128W = 118dB.

Just to give you
an idea of how loud everything is, most conversations are in the 60dB
range and loud rock concerts are in the 100dB range. Extremely loud
rock concerts are going to be around 110dB. Chances are you're going to
end up watching your movies in the 80dB range, which means you're going
to be using about 1/32 of a watt! (Yikes). Peaks will probably get in
the 110dB range (for extremely short periods of time - like
explosions), but you'll still only be drawing about 20W per channel.
The reason for the extra headroom is to keep the distortion low.

The
F2's on the other hand have a sensitivity closer to 95dB - which means
they're going to need almost twice the power to achieve the same SPL.
So where the F3 is 118dB with 128W, the F2 will be 118dB with 256W
(that's quite a bit of difference). And just for the sake of analogy
(and pointing out one more awesome detail concerning Klipsch), an 80dB
sensitive speaker is going to need about 8000W to achieve 118dB!

post-10350-1381931821273_thumb.gif

Buy Heritage and get it over with............................You'll buy the 3's and in a year be wondering if you should have bought Heritage, So buy them now, and in a year think about Khorns..............................EH !!!!!!!!!!!!!!.................It's just begun..................Welcome to the Forum..................

Haha, you guys are awesome ;) Well, I work at BestBuy and can get the Klipschs for practically nothing. Thanks again for all the help. Does anyone know if the same speakers are used when listening to a CD as they would be if watching a movie? I was told that the center channel pretty much just output the vocals and the front and back pairs ouput respectively. Hmm, perhaps I'm asking the wrong question haha im not sure. It just seemed like in BestBuy that the center channel was a lot louder than others. Im assuming a proper setup in the receiver will balance all of that out.