K510 Jubilee little HF horn....

sfogg

"After having some time with them, how are things going? "

Very well, they continue to impress. I don't know if things are simply better integrated two way vs. the old three way or if the drivers/horns are just simply more detailed (I think it is the later) but I keep noticing little things in music I have heard many times.

"he first Altecs you tried with your LS bins were the 511B? Is that correct? "

Yes, first with the K55 then later with the 902-8B as a three way with the ALK Type A then two way with the ES600T.

"Acoustic memory can be pretty fuzzy, but are the 510s an improvement over both Altecs you've lived with for awhile?"

I only compared back to back against the 805B/288/2404 setup and it was an improvement over that. I think it would be an improvement over the 511B run as a two way as well due to the better dispersion characteristics. The collapsing dispersion of the 511B/902 run two way was what got me to move away from that combo in the theater. In my old room it worked better, down in the theater it didn't give me enough coverage. At some point I may set up a 511B/902 and compare back to back against the K510/44xt combo. Lots of other projects to deal with first though...

"What about mounting the new horns on a baffle -- any plans for that?"

Nope, I like the ability to aim the horns.

"Do makers of HT movie screens make them acoustically transparent by design? Since you've got the horns behind the screen, I was wondering if you had done any response measurements with and without the screen."

My horns are not behind the screen, they are just below it.

Some screens are acoustically transparent (sorta... kinda....) but the screen I have is not one of them. My screen is a very high gain screen called the 'High Power' from Dalite. It is literally zillions of very tiny glass beads with a coating over them to be retro-reflective (light bounces back in the direction it comes from) for a bright/punchy picture with no hot spotting.

Shawn

• Replies 184
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Someone asked Shawn.... "After having some time with them, how are things going? "

He said.... "Very well, they continue to impress. I don't know if things are simply better integrated two way vs. the old three way or if the drivers/horns are just simply more detailed (I think it is the later) but I keep noticing little things in music I have heard many times."

Then Roy said, "Any bites on your 510 horn sale?"

Am I lost, I thought he liked these? Or maybe with the geeked smilyface, your just kidding too?

"I don't know if things are simply better integrated two way vs. the old three way or if the drivers/horns are just simply more detailed (I think it is the later) but I keep noticing little things in music I have heard many times."

Not trying to be overly analytical here, but I'm reading this as the 510s revealing things in music in much the same way as earlier horn/driver experiments. Or are you noticing things in music that you haven't been so aware of in the past?

It doesn't really matter after all. If things sound good to you now, that's the important thing. I was simply interested in whether the 510s were obviously better (or not) than what you've tried in the past.

Erik