K510 Jubilee little HF horn....

sfogg

Shawn,

You are quite the gentleman!

As I get closer to the decision I may take you up on your offer.

As you can see by my questions, cost is a factor. I may be enlisting the help of another for some cabinetry (they would build a pair for themselves also) and they have a price point.

Also I am still educating myself regarding the pros & cons of the tractrix over an exponential or bi-radial. I know Roy is a big fan of the tractrix. But due to a personality quirk, I need to read up on this stuff a bit more and try and understand some of the physics and empirical results behind them.

Thanks,

-Tom

• Replies 184
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Roy,

Nothing new in the way of measurements, just been enjoying the setup. As Dean said I do really like this horn. So much so that two of my 805B are already in South Korea and two of the 288s are in transit to Germany. (Might use the third for a crazy mono garage setup or something ;)

When is the two way LaScala IV coming out. ;)

I am still between projectors right now so all of my listening has been with music. When my projector finally arrive (probably 3 or 4 weeks still... not enough in the US yet) I'll be able to give the system a real whirl in movie mode. I expect it should impress.

Shawn

Need a 400Hz version of that thing for the Klipschorn. I refuse to believe that PK would want Klipsch treating his stuff like sacred ground and locking it into the 1960's forever. If they can be made better for a little bit more than make them better! Heck, you could even keep the current configurations and just call them 'Heritage Classic Series'.

I refuse to believe that PK would want Klipsch treating his stuff like sacred ground and locking it into the 1960's forever.

lol! [:D]

What about the demographic that wants to lock themselves in the 1960's.... [:o]

Why not just make a new lineup and call it something other than heritage - it could be an offshoot, kinda like reference is better than synergy. We need a referitage line...

Yeah, the K510 could be used in a lot of interesting speakers. Pretty much anything Heritage except the K'Horn would be a fun match.

With the shallow depth of the horn it could probably be used to make a *killer* on wall surround speaker. Etc...etc...

Shawn

Yeah, the K510 could be used in a lot of

interesting speakers. Pretty much anything Heritage except the K'Horn

would be a fun match.

With the shallow depth of the horn it could probably be used to make a *killer* on wall surround speaker. Etc...etc...

Shawn

But didn't you say the K510 is not available

individually? How did you get yours? I have a surround

application in mind.

Yeah, the K510 could be used in a lot of interesting speakers. Pretty much anything Heritage except the K'Horn would be a fun match.

Shawn

Shawn. I guess I will ask you questions regarding the 510 in this thread.

So you think it will work with "heritage" speakers.

Now I'm not very good with the CD horn thing. BUT. By looking at your curves.....Is it possible to use the 510 in a 3 way setup as the mid horn and not the tweeter.....w/o EQ. Basically say 500Hz-7000Hz...can you get by w/o EQ. If so, then it would be interesting to set it in with a 3-way passive network and use it for the midhorn.

Is this a reasonable option w/o "significant" compromises?

jc

The only downside would be trying to find a tweeter that matches the

polar response...and then if you can find one, you're going to

introduce off-axis lobing due to the drivers being in different places,

which kinda nullifies the whole concept of controlling the directivity.

Whether or not the off-axis is beneficial is gonna be very room

dependant. That's where extreme slopes might come in handy...

"By looking at your curves.....Is it possible to use the 510 in a 3 way setup as the mid horn and not the tweeter.....w/o EQ. Basically say 500Hz-7000Hz...can you get by w/o EQ. "

With the driver I'm running it looks like it stays flat to around 5k. So you could run it to around there without EQ. I don't know where the DE75 or K69 get to without EQ.

"If so, then it would be interesting to set it in with a 3-way passive network and use it for the midhorn."

Sure you could do it... but why? It has a better top end then the k77 and you of course gain the advantage of not having to worry about another crossover blend.

The driver is much more sensitive then the k33. You can use that additional sensitivity to your advantage as the EQ in a passive crossover. Or if you wanted to stay three way still use some of the sensitivity as EQ to push the crossover point to the tweeter higher. The further you can go with the mid-range the more options you get regarding a tweeter.

Shawn

Roy, can you compare the 510 with the 604 used in many of the mid-level PA speakers?

well if you subtract them you get 94.....if you add them you get 1114....if you multiply them you get........

604 is the first tractrix i ever did. it is pure tractrix and i used the geometry of a pure tractrix to get 60 x 40. it turns out that a pure tractrix has a natural DI of about 9 to 10. but 60 x 40 is pretty tight. the 510 represents the best that i have gotten a modified tractrix to work. it is a 90 x 60ish, very even, very controlled. i remember obsessing with getting little variation, watching the coverage plot come up on the screen, groaning because it was not as tight as it wanted and then kerry geist coming by and saying, come on man, it's within +/- 10 degrees....that's when i realized that we were there (you know that ole forest for the trees thing). 90 x 60 is what kerry and i thought was closer to what we thought sounded open enough but still coverage controlled. hope this helps.]

have a blessed day,

roy delgado