K510 Jubilee little HF horn....

sfogg

• Replies 184
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

In the attached ZIP file is a Quicktime movie of the spectrum analyzer while performing a 30 second sweep from 500hz to 20kHz.

For those that don't know what they are looking at basically the big peak is the fundamental, IOW the frequency that is being played by the Peavey. Smaller peaks above the fundamental that move with the fundamental are harmonic distortion. The chain here is my HP function generator feeding the Behringer DCX2496 to the Teac tripath to the Peavey and then through the mic pre-amp and to the Spectral Dynamics analyzer.

Not the easiest to see in the Quicktime but it gets the point across.

Shawn

peavey.zip

In the Quicktime the scale of the measurment is 40kHz so one could see at least the second order harmonic at 20kHz. 3rd or 4th order distortion wouldn't be seen on the analyzer as they would be above the range of the instrument. The other thing one can look for on this is resonance in the driver. If the driver had a resonant peak you should see the fundamental jump way up when the sweep hits the resonant frequency. Also note the couple of big dips in the fundamentals response up high. That mirrors the earlier FR measurements done with a noise source.

Shawn

Hi Roy,

Thanks, the analyzer certainly makes it easier to see what is going on and to setup the EQ easier. I wouldn't want to go down this road without the measurement equipment.

The scale is linear on those pictures. 10dB per division vertical. The horizontal scale is linear as well but the frequency per division varies depending upon how wide I'm looking at.

Shawn

Mike,

Only listened to noise so far. Sounds like
noise. ;) I need to work on the crossover next. For the listening
tests I'll probably just use the stock amp. If/when I integrate these
into the system for good I'll need to do some work on my modded Teacs
to maximize SNR out of the Behringers DACs by altering the fixed
attenuation I have in them. I also altered the Teacs to lower their
noise floor as they had too much hiss driving the speakers directly.
That may or may not need to be changed, it is sort of a tradeoff
between hiss and power. The natural rolloff in the CD horn might help
hide the hiss and since I need more power for the EQ I might need to
turn their power back up.

Not sure about the dip at 16kHz, I have one or two things I want to try and if it makes a difference I'll post it. On the 20kHz range pictures the horizontal divisions are 2kHz wide.

Shawn

The spec sheet looks good on it but I saw a post either on AA or the Lansing site from a guy that measured the 850 and basically said it was the worst 2" driver he had ever measured. As such I crossed that one off the list.

Man, you crossed a driver off your list based on the comments of one guy? That's atypical behavior for you -- an anomaly in your response.:)

"a guy that measured the 850 and basically said it was the worst 2" driver he had ever measured."

It didn't measure all that bad in the high end, but it didn't sound good either.

Worst measuring 2" (not counting cheap junk you know isn't going to be any good), the RCF N850.

DJK,

I'm pretty sure you were the guy I saw that had made that post on AA about how poorly it measured. I must have mistaken the RCF 850 for the Radian 850 though.

Have you tried the Peavey? Any other reasonable priced suggestions to try if the Peavey doesn't work out?

Thanks,

Shawn

I've heard a lot of great things about the B&C drivers (yes, even before I found out Klipsch uses some of them)...If I had the money right now that's the approach I would be trying. Of course, I have absolutely no experience with any of them [:)] If I had a lot of money I think TAD would be the way to go.

Shawn---Yup, 3" BE diaphragm, neo magnet, 1.5" exit. Used in the Vertec arrays.

There are a couple of guys that sell them used on ebay once in a while for about $200-250 each, a bargain I think. That's where my pal got his. And Jammin Jeresy has them too but their price is dearer.

If I wanted to go large format they're the way I'd go,no doubt in my mind.

Hey, Shawn:

This is an interesting experiment, and I'm interested to know how measurements compare with listening to music, dialogue, effects, and so forth. And also, of course what your perceptions are in terms of differences and improvements (if that happens to be the case) over what you're using now. I'm also curious about the more sort of mundane or mechanical -- but nevertheless-still-important -- aspects concerning mounting applications and techniques. In terms of the purely visual aspect of this change, these new horns are more understated and less obvious, and subsequently might be better for HT.

And you're right, my mind sometimes still finds itself stuck in two channel stereo. I forgot about the the third La Scala bin in the middle.

I shared email with Jon Risch years and years ago when I had a severe case cable-making flu.

Have fun!

Erik