SACD/DVDA/MP3/CDR/CDRW Player under $400???

RobCurran

WOW!

Progressive Scan, DVD-A, and SACD in one machine. I knew that someone would eventually release a player like this. Maybe some of the bigger names like Denon and Marantz could release an all-in-one player.

Is Apex a decent brand? They only seem to be available at big chain stores. This makes me think that they are mass-produced and not necessarily made for quality.

This message has been edited by oogins on 12-01-2001 at 04:28 PM

I was surfing the net to read-up on the pros/cons between between SACD and DVD-Audio and ran across this player. It is so inexpensive that I couldn't believe my eyes. But seeing how inexpensive it is, I know the quality has got to be questionable.

You know what the sad thing is. If Apex had doubled the price, I might have given this player a serious look.

cwm2.gif

This message has been edited by Rob Curran on 12-01-2001 at 08:52 PM

true.

that is also why the MSRP of speakers or other things hifi generally has nothing to do with their cost of production/research/marketing...

they just gather 'round in a comittee and decide what is an appropriate price given the market and where they want to position the speaker.

i'm sure the sentence "no, that's not expensive enough" has been blurted out many times in such marketing meetings!

------------------

'cuz not a lot of people have ever said

"Pump up the treble!"

i have seen some like 79 buck APEX dvd players at Wal-Mart... that kinda makes me worry... Smile.gif

they are popping up more and more often, i now see Apex at Best Buy, Circuit City, and i think Tweeter. they look so generic to me. but if this can do what it says it can and do it very well, than i might get one too! LoL!

------------------

-justin

I am an amateur, if it is professional;

ProMedia help you want email Amy or call her @ 1-888-554-5665

Klipsch Home Audio help you want, email support@klipsch.com or call @ 1-800-KLIPSCH

RA# Fax Number=317-860-9140 / Parts Department Fax Number=317-860-9150

I have a Apex DVD player, bought it for $69.00 at an outlet store. Brought it home, downloaded firmware to defeat the macrovision and regions. It works fine but it is not a quality item. They are known for being inexpensive and modified easily. I think most of the guts of the thing can be replaced with off the shelf computer parts ( at least the model I have ). Here's a link for the Apex forums http://www.nerd-out.com/forum/

------------------

Just who is Dylan's Jokerman anyways?