Peavey FH1 or SP1

ClaudeJ1

Anyone familiar with these speakers? The bass bins appear to be LaScala clones. The horns cross at 600 hz., and supposedly go to 18k. What is the efficiency and the low end bass. It appears the bass cabs are about 1.7 times the volume of LaScalas which leads me to believe they might be good to 60hz.

Claude

Mine measured pretty good down to 50 cycles when placed tight into the corner. Mine were loaded with Klipsch K-33 woofers.

I thought they were measuring flat down to 30hz, I scratched my head and then turned the furnace off.

Not a LaScala clone, sturdier build for one and the folding scheme is common. Both the FH-1 and LaScala bassbins owe heavily to the MGM Shearer horn of the 1930s.

post-6913-138193183393_thumb.jpg

I thought they were measuring flat down to 30hz, I scratched my head and then turned the furnace off.

LOL!

Looking at the posted graphs, I'd wager the FH-1 bass bin would be good down to about 70Hz when wedged into a corner.

70 in corner for FH1 might be plausable? (my house is 1/2" sheetrock - would La Scala be ~"the same"?

for rough comparison here's a 100Hz hyperbolic Edgarhorn in same spot outdoors
distortion at 100 is for the K43 - 2220 makes worse plots at this point
Posted Image

here's 2220 same drive at 100Hz (I lost S/N on LF response plots as seen in LF slope not being maintained)
Posted Image

• 1 year later...

Mine measured pretty good down to 50 cycles when placed tight into the corner. Mine were loaded with Klipsch K-33 woofers.

Not a LaScala clone, sturdier build for one and the folding scheme is common. Both the FH-1 and LaScala bassbins owe heavily to the MGM Shearer horn of the 1930s.

I put old K33's in mine and they DID measure down to 30 Hz in a small room, amazingly. I PEQ's the peak at 180 Hz and was good to go.

FH1's are great bass bins..

This summer I plan to (a vs B) them with La scala bottoms..(SInce I have one extra la scala bottom and use the split tops..)

I wanted to build/put together a set of speakers I can roll out of the garage for summer parties, working outside, playing with the kids... etc etc. Grab the ipod a small amp and rock n roll! Be great to use for a BBQ someplace too?