How much bigger would a Khorn bass bin need to be....

Randy Bey

Guys,

It seems to me that simply making them longer and bigger (while using the same flare rate) would not be the best solution. If I understand horn design, it appears that changing the flare rate to a lower value would provide the most bang for the buck. Of course that would automatically make them longer and bigger.

------------------

John P

St Paul, MN

Here are two websites that you may like;

www.users.bigpond.com/dmcbean/

www.geocities.com/loudspeakerguru/

First link is a good horn designing program, actually horn response analysis, you still need to plug in the numbers, including Thiele/Small parameters.

Second one has posted a link to Paul Klipsch's original design.

Doubling the mouth area would lower the cutoff frequency by 1/2 octave so you need to both QUADRUPLE the mouth area and HALVE the flare frequency. Paul Klipsch used a "rubber throat" - the initial flare is at a much higher frequency to shorten the throat air column length. You can try trading off between throat length and throat area, remember adjusting the throat area and flare frequency will change the back chamber volume. Every change leads to more changes. I think this will quadruple the cabinet volume. I've posted 2 folded horn designs with flare frequencies of 28 and 34 Hz.

Thanks Jeff, your sight is excellent.

Making the bass bin four times the size does not seem practical, does it.

I am looking for a way to horn load a subwoofer, not to get 8HZ or anything, just to get closer to that bottom octave that the Khorns don't reach.

Maybe your 28HZ horn would do the trick. The blueprints read like Greek to me though.

Randy;

All the plates used in the design have an assigned letter (except the shell), they have 90 degree edges where they attach to the top and bottom, the other edges' bevels are given after the plates' size (absolutely NO compound angles!). There are 2 woofers arrayed vertically firing through the throat cutouts in panel "A" down the first throat flares (plates B & C are parallel, 4 of D expand the throat to the first U-turn, hopefully the rest is clear). The yellow line is the centerline of the throat. The red outlines are the mathematical profile of the "ideal" initial throat expansion. If you check out the gallery there is more info on how to position this design so that 2 cabinets' response can extend from 24 to 320 Hz @ +/- 0.75 dB (predicted per McBeans' program). A dado is a shallow groove (width = panel thickness) cut in a panel, a rabbet is a shallow groove cut along the edge of a panel. They are used to both locate and strengthen panel connections (generally at right angles). To get everything on 1 page I left out a lot of info. I hope this helps. I will start adding drawings (to the gallery page) of each panel as I find time over the next week or so.

Two of these will be very large (25.67 cubic feet for each cabinet).

• 10 months later...

Mike---Ah yes, the famous EV 30-W, they comeup on ebay once in awhile and sell for several hundred. I have plans from EV for this driver in which the front baffle is an entire 4X8 sheet of plywood, big driver in a BIG box. I heard them a couple of times, very good woofer. Early Patricians used an 18 in a folded cornerhorn, later ones used the 30W. Go to www.audioheritage.org for pictures of the Patrician sold in Japan long after EV stopped selling them here, a