Jolida or Ah Tjoeb CDP?

hondajake

Tigerwoods

Concerning the Ah!..I "upgraded" to the Amperex tubes but I still prefer the stock Philips! I thought the Amperex sound was less revealing..maybe I should break them in for a longer period?? I do know it took forever (and I do mean forever!) to break the AH! in after I got it! I think like 200-400 hours! Am I not giving the Amperex tubes a chance? (only used them for about 10 hours)

Thanx

Steve

Tigerwoods

Concerning the Ah!..I "upgraded" to the Amperex tubes but I still prefer the stock Philips! I thought the Amperex sound was less revealing..maybe I should break them in for a longer period?? I do know it took forever (and I do mean forever!) to break the AH! in after I got it! I think like 200-400 hours! Am I not giving the Amperex tubes a chance? (only used them for about 10 hours)

Thanx

Steve

Your amperex tube should be broken in if they are vintage. Mine sounded great as soon as I plugged them in. Same for the Russian "Rocket" tubes. The Philips sounded thinner and much less bass.

Tiger et al.... do you find the choice of tube making a huge difference to the sound? I.e.; I'm running a tube pre, monoblocks, and Jolida.... Would you find that the CDP's tubes influence the sound less than the tubes in a pre and amp? Or would say, the CDP override the amp, etc? I'm not formulating a good question here, but do you know what I mean?

• 3 weeks later...