Khorns and McIntosh?

kialucky

I think you should atleast update the caps in the old crossovers or re-build them with BECs help.Also you sealed the vertical part of the tailboard but did you seal the horizontal part to the wall to.Another thing, if they sit on hard smooth floor get some Grippers from wal-mart and put on the bottom.Rick

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Coytee,

If you sell the MC-2102, I'll buy it. Email me, let's talk.

PS Did you really like the OTL's that much? I was considering some 300B set amps but you've got me thinking.

Just noticed this comment here (sorry). So I'll make some comment.

Yes, I really DID like the sound of the SE-OTL's that much. Even my wife who detests my "big ulgy passe' teenager speakers" (LaScalas & Khorns at the time) as well as her sister who hated them just as much, BOTH made independent comments on just how sweet they sounded.

My wife was the one who made the final decision between selling the OTL's and the Wright 2A3's I had. I tried to A/B them as honestly as I could with no measuring equipment. The biggest drawback again for me, was the OTL's only had 4 watts and I simply love to listen to it much louder than 4 wpc allows.

Now that I'm going 2-way, the system is "loud" when my 2102 meters start hitting & going beyond 1 watt (I know they're not perfect but they're better than nothing for a reference level). Now that I have an idea of watts being used on my 402, I wonder again about those OTL's. I emailed Bruce at Transcendent & gave him a synopsis of my scenario and he actually suggested his next up amp (T-16?? or something like that).

I've not gone there yet as I've simply BLOWN "Mr. Budget" out of the water this past year with all the incoming I had (MC-30's, MC-2102 1 year ago, 2 dbx amps and then of course the Jubilees to top it off) I don't want to get into a buying spree right now so I'm just sitting & listening to the plug ugly 'teenager speakers' mated up with what I got.

[:D]

I'm thinking that better amps might make your Khorns sound better but I've never heard any amp make a speaker I thought was bad sound good.

In other words are the Khorns really the speakers for you? Not everyone likes them you know. If you have heard Khorns you like it's one thing but if you haven't you're on dangerous ground thinking you can throw money at them and get a sound you like. You're as likely to go backward as forward.

I totally agree with this. I see so many new people popping up here lately complaining of harshness and so many recommending throwing good amps, etc. at it. I really believe that should come later after the crossovers, placement, and room are tweaked. Maybe good gear or tubes will 'help', but if you have serious harshness - boy, I find it hard to believe it'll magically fix it. In my experience, upgrading to a tube cdp was my biggest bang (tho' I previously used a cheapo ss cdp so take that FWIW).....

You say you can't seal the khorn(s) into the corner properly due to shutters? Then I would think your bass would be weak/thin/less, but you say it's overpowering things? This confuses me. Is it boomyish? Perhaps properly sealing them in would tighten it up. IMO - since it seems you have cashola, I'd look to the crossovers first.

Do you have pics of this area/room/shutter deal?

Rick,
I think you are right, and I really want to update the caps. I just don't know how. If there is a manual or something that explains the whys and hows of cap updating, I need to find it...and I need pictures! Really, I don't want to screw anything up. I can solder pretty good, I just need to know exactly what I'm doing before I start cutting off things that might be caps and soldering something back on that has different numbers than the old one. If you can help or steer me in the right direction, I'd appreciate it! Also, I will run down and seal the horizontal part right now, thanks. They are on carpet, so they sit pretty tight. Really appreciate your advice.

Rick,

I think you are right, and I really want to update the caps. I just don't know how. If there is a manual or something that explains the whys and hows of cap updating, I need to find it...and I need pictures! Really, I don't want to screw anything up. I can solder pretty good, I just need to know exactly what I'm doing before I start cutting off things that might be caps and soldering something back on that has different numbers than the old one. If you can help or steer me in the right direction, I'd appreciate it! Also, I will run down and seal the horizontal part right now, thanks. They are on carpet, so they sit pretty tight. Really appreciate your advice.

What is the letter desingation on your crossovers? Changing out caps isn't all that hard if you can solder. There are only a few caps to change and they are quite large and easy to solder. Then again, there are people here on the forum that rebuild and upgarde crossovers for a living (or a hobby, whatever, they charge for the service).

they say AK 2. Is that an OK crossover? I'm new to the Khorns, so I know nothing except I really like how they are sounding now. Another question, do I seal the horizontal part of the back at the top of the bass bin? That seems to make the most sense to me, but that isn't saying much.

"McIntosh is one of those brands that one will either LOVE, or simply think "not so much" of. "

I have to agree. I had a Dynaco and moved to a Cary. The Cary sound was a dramatic improvement over the Dynaco. However, when I moved from a Cary to a Mcintosh, not really feeling a significant improvement.

Another question, do I seal the horizontal part of the back at the top of the bass bin? That seems to make the most sense to me, but that isn't saying much.

I sealed mine there (back & side horizontal pieces). I used pipe insulation tubes and sliced them to fit over all the edges. I think my bass is beautiful.