Which sub should I get???

MTAudioLover

I have RF-62's, an RC-52, and 2 RS-42's I am planning to set up in 5.1. I am looking at subs. I'm going to get the RW-12d or the RW-10d. The 10" is tempting for the amount of money I would save, but, for obvious reasons, i want the 12". How much would I be losing by going with the 10"? I have a small space and It is in an apartment...but i can always turn down the volume on the 12". I guess my question is: if I went with the 10" would I regret it. (I'm sure I'll live in a larger area someday, too).

Also, completely unrelated to subwoofers, I am thinking of using a Harman Kardon reciever to run the show. Anyone have any opinions on H/K? I know their specs show really low watts per channel, but they say that's not important with their recievers since they use high current. Also, the Reference Klipsch's are VERY sensitive so they handle power well. Would H/K be a good reciever to use? The other Reciever I was looking at was a Yamaha. It has more advertised watts per channel, but I've heard the sound quality is awesome with H/K and accuracy is superb. Quality is what's important to me. Maybe i just answered my own question, but I'm interested in what everyone has to say based on their experience.

Thanks,

Trevor

H/K and klipsch sound very good together. I have similar main speakers as you ( basically the older version of your two front towers, the RF-15's) and use a HK3480 for 2 channel listening. hey sounds good to me!

You will also learn that watts per channel mean less and less as you research more and more. different companies use different rating systems at different frequencies, different distortion points, different time periods (like how some car audio amplifiers are tested in tiny time intervals for the max power rating.....if you played at that power for 30seconds the amp would probably melt!) and alot of companies distort the truth alot!

HK apparently rate their amplifiers very sensibly compared to a lot of brands, and I believe you can actually believe the WRMS power output a HK amp claims......you may find that 100W from a HK amp is more than 200W from another company. (but dont worry just remember every time you double amplifier power you only get a theoretical 3db rise....so the difference between a 500W amp and a 1000W amp is a measly 3db!)

I'd recommend staying in the Reference lineup. You'll be fine with the RW-10D, the user controls give it a lot of flexibility and you can set it to your listening preferences. Spend the extra budget dollars on CD's and DVD's will ya?

The HK lineup work well with Klipsch Reference speakers. I think they rate their power more conservatively than other leading brands.

Congratulations, that system will ROCK any apartment!

I have a H/K AVR 7200 mared with Reference series speakers and I really like the combo. It's rated at 100 watts/channel with all (7) channels driven. S&V measured one and it put out 140+ wpc in 7 channel mode and over 190+ wpc in 2 channel mode. They are one of a few companies that produce more wattage through the entire audible spectrum, than they are rated at.

I have a H/K AVR 7200 mared with Reference series speakers and I really like the combo. It's rated at 100 watts/channel with all (7) channels driven. S&V measured one and it put out 140+ wpc in 7 channel mode and over 190+ wpc in 2 channel mode. They are one of a few companies that produce more wattage through the entire audible spectrum, than they are rated at.

I have the 7200 also & it is very musical. It drives my rf-7's in the bedroom.

JT

About 2 years ago when I bought my RW10, we lived in an apartment. Ourliving room was 18 * 16, and that sub was MORE than enough to fill that room with bass. I say you will definitely be fine with the RW10d. But........... let me warn ya. There's no such thing as turning the sub down. You'll come home one day, and realize that all your neighbors are at work, or not home, and you'll crank that bad boy up, then you'll never turn it down again!!! Needless to say, I had to get out of there and move into a house where I could really let the sub "get low".

I use the HK 7300 with RF-7s. Originally I was very satisfied...but the wifey wanted more punch so I added an RSW-12 sub. Then by time the sub was dialed in to have the punch she wanted I thought it stepped on the RF-7s. The HK 7300 is rated at 125wpc with two channels driven. To overcome the issue I added a 200wpc Adcom GFA-555 to power the RF-7s using the HK as the pre. This arangement did not add much so I added another Adcom, run them both bridged (as mono-blocks). Now I have the ability to deliver 600 watts to each of the RF-7s. The difference was nothing short of amazing. I really do not even need a sub now (although it does still add some punch). The RF-7s, given all the power they might ever need, really came to life...the bass out of them is phenominal.

There are those, here on this forum as well as other forums, that will tell you that the Adcom when mated with the RF-7s (or any horn speaker) are a bit harsh, bright, grainy or whatever term is used (mostly refering to the high end being fatiguing). I too thought this when I first added them...but now the sound has grown on me and I find it to be very "real" and "in your face",,,I have come to like it. DeanG has a xover mod for the RF-7 (RC-7 as well) that is reported to tame the highs a bit and I have considered trying it. My only hesitation here is that as I said I do find the systems current sound to my likeing at reasonable volumes (80 to 100db). It only gets to be "fatiguing" at ultra high volumes (105 to >110db) which is where the wife likes to listen. I worry that if I add the modded xover I will miss the "real", "in your face" highs and the only way to get them back would be to buy another set of stock (unmodded) xovers. That would make the experiment quite expensive.