Heresy Help Needed

HornsRus

Can you give us a bit more info on your room and the speaker placement? I've found that my Heresy speakers have plenty of bass in some placements, but when I put them temorarily on an upper shelf their bass response *totally* diminished! It was like a pair of Bose cubes without their "subwoofer"...

Depending on your intended use, you might want to pair them with a sub anyway. But, for music anyway, the Heresy line can sound really nice with good placement.

Ross

------------------

My System's Stuff

My 1981 vintage Heresys have always lacked in Bass. The best bass I've ever head from them was when I placed them at one end of the dorm hall where I was living in college and then sat on the fire escape at the other end of the dorm (must have been about 150 feet).

Recently I connected my Rotel amp through an MIT Bi-Wire cable to the Heresys. The upper frequency bi-wire only was connected to the Heresy, the lower frequency I connected to the low frequency input of my Klipsch RP-3s (a sealed subwoofer). Just marvelous sound. I also have a KSW-10 ported sub. The Heresys sound terrible with this sub (or rather the sub sounds terrible compared to the Heresys). <Oddly, the driver for the sub, and the driver for the sub section of the RP-3 is the same driver with a different part number.>

I believe that the Heresy crossover limits the lower end on this speaker. I bet that this is so that the speaker only deals with those frequencies that can keep up with the sound pressure delivered by the other drivers and keeping the overall efficiency of the speaker high. When I bypass my Heresy bass driver and run the output to my subwoofer, I still do not hear the deep bass, so simply replacing the driver will not change much in the sound.

I'm sure that I am not the only person who would reccommend a sealed subwoofer for use with the sealed Heresy speaker. The ported sub just sounds too slow. A friend has a pair of huge homemade horn loaded subs with two 15" drivers in each sub. Not a lot of deep bass with those, so it wasn't much of an improvement. I haven't experimented with other sub configurations (passive radiators or transmission line). Ask the dealer if you can take the sub home and connect it to your system before you purchase. I think sub and speaker matching is very tough, so the more experimentation you can do, the better.

Good luck

Placing the Heresy's at the wall/floor junction, or better yet, in the corner, is how you maximize the bass output. If that is not feasible, then I would go the subwoofer route, as the maximum extension the Heresy is capable of in any case is only about 50hz. An equalizer would help, but will not get the Heresy's any deeper than the 50 hz they are designed for. Your room size would seem to dictate a single large sub, or two smaller subs, such as I have in my 20 x 24 foot room. My set up measures only 2 db down at 20 hz at the listening position. I hope this helps.

------------------

L/C/R: Klipsch Heresy II

Surround: Klipsch RS-3

Subwoofers: 2 HSU-VTF-2

Pre/Pro/Tuner: McIntosh MX-132

AMP: McIntosh MC-7205

DVD: McIntosh MVP-831

CD Transport: Pioneer PD-F908 100 Disc Changer

Turntable: Denon DP-72L

Cassette: Nakamichi BX-1

T.V. : Mitsubishi 55905

SAT/HDTV: RCA DTC-100

Surge Protector: Monster Power HTS-5000

HornsRus,

I have Heresys of similar vintage and I agree that a little deeper bass would be nice. IMHO the overall balance is damned good at higher volume levels but is pretty poor when listened to at low volumes. I recently added the Klipsch KSW-12 for HT and I am pretty pleased with it for HT and for music. Maybe as I get more into HT and listen to other subs I will yearn for a "faster" sub but for now it seems to complement the Heresys pretty well.

Good luck,

Dan

I have an 84 vintage pair that sit approx 35.5" off floor on top of my Belles. They're a few feet out from corners and have decent but light bass notes by themselves. I mostly play them in stereo mode and supplement the bass with an KSW-12 Sub. The Heresies do provide wonderful sounds in the mid & high freq ranges, and musically the KSW-12 does a wonderful job, its bass blends well with Heresies.

------------------

"KLIPSCH IS MUSIC"f>