reciever help

bismarck

I sold a yamaha HTR-5990 to a friend tonight and went over after work to set it all up. Personally, I think the auto cal. mic is a great feature, 
so i pluged it in, hit "start", and I sat back only to have my ears rocked and to see an error message. The reciever was setting speaker size/distance and sent out a series of increasingly loud test tones to the front left speaker. Then after a ridiculously loud tweeter melting test tone 
it showed an error that it could not sense any sound from the front left speaker, and the speaker was obviously working.
I would assume that the mic is broken. Any other ideas as to whats going on?

ps. I had a gentleman come in tonight that was very adimant to tell me Bose was the best speaker made,
but that Klipsch came in close second...I sold him Klipsch.  :)

I have an spl meter but i didn't want to take the time to set everything. I also want to use the EQ with the mic. to adjust for room acoustics and it has an EQ for each speaker. Iforgot to mention that the mic is actually from the 5890 and Iam using it on the 5990, do you think that is the problem? Should I try contacting Yamaha, or would tha tbe a waste of time?

I could be wrong but Ithought that the mic for the 5960 was shaped like a dome and the 5X90 line was like a tower.  I could be wrong though. I do know that the 6090 has a new improved YPAO. Anyway, i order the mic just for the 5990 today and i will wait until that comes in and hopefully that is the problem, and if not, any suggestions on where to go?