Just go my PS3

damonrpayne

Wow do I take bad pictures! I'll try again this week.

So far the Playstation network speed is my only complaint. A friend of mine owns the Xbox360 and the Wii and says the Wii network is even worse right now. I assume this can be fixed. Some people have complained about the Sixaxxis controller but I'm fine with it so far from just playing Blast Factor. Tonight I'll be downloading Gran Tourismo HD concept. As a BluRay player it seems quite nice, the load time is less than 10 seconds for me, compared to like a minute for all the stand alone HD-DVD and BluRay players. I'll be able to comment more on the BluRay movies after tonight.

I got my PS3 too recently from Amazon. It was delivered yesterday. I have been trying Costco Warehouses and Costco.com since launch but no dice. Today just for the heck of it I called warehouses near my place. One of them has one in stock. I immediately requested to put a hold on item as I was going to get it which I did.

I'm going to return the Amazon purchase simply because I prefer the return policy of Costco. If anything goes wrong with the unit a year from now, I could always have it replaced. I can't do that with Amazon and can't wait to go home. [:D]

Yeah, I'm waiting for some good games to come out for it before I think about it. And the issues to be fixed...the simple fact that it downscales 720p games to 480p if the output is set to 1080i, instead of upscaling to 1080i like 360, tells me there are a quite a few firmware updates to go before it's ready for prime time.

Also, being very into online gaming, it offers absolutely nothing compared to Live on this horizon. Voice chat is sparse (which is unbelievable to me), and games that support the online are spotty, with no continuity between the different games. You acutally have to leave the game you're in and go out to the dashboard before you can see who out of your friends is online or to chat with them. No chatting accross games.

As said above, if Sony is proactive, this stuff will be remedied in future firmware updates. But to me a system that doesn't do half of what my 360 does is not even close to being worth $600.

Yeah, I'm waiting for some good games to come out for it before I think about it. And the issues to be fixed...the simple fact that it downscales 720p games to 480p if the output is set to 1080i, instead of upscaling to 1080i like 360, tells me there are a quite a few firmware updates to go before it's ready for prime time.

Also, being very into online gaming, it offers absolutely nothing compared to Live on this horizon. Voice chat is sparse (which is unbelievable to me), and games that support the online are spotty, with no continuity between the different games. You acutally have to leave the game you're in and go out to the dashboard before you can see who out of your friends is online or to chat with them. No chatting accross games.

As said above, if Sony is proactive, this stuff will be remedied in future firmware updates. But to me a system that doesn't do half of what my 360 does is not even close to being worth $600.

I am not a gamer, but bought the 360 for my kids who were visiting. I really hated to see it leave with them back to Nevada.[:'(] I was very impressed.

I believe this only affect old HDTVs that does not have 720P output (only 1080i and mostly Mitsubishi brands). But I agree it should be able to show the game to 1080i. 360 experience in live is awesome. I just hope SONY can mimick that or at least come close in the near future. For now, it's OK. I'll use the unit as BD player since some of my favorite PS games are still several months before release.

Patches are coming out every few weeks so far, mostly for the online experience. It took MSFT about 4 years to get Xbox live to the state it is now so Sony is definately playing catch up there. The improvements in the next firmware release fixes my only complaint (background downloading) and of course its mostly a BD player.

Patches are coming out every few weeks so far, mostly for the online experience. It took MSFT about 4 years to get Xbox live to the state it is now so Sony is definately playing catch up there. The improvements in the next firmware release fixes my only complaint (background downloading) and of course its mostly a BD player.

While live has been out for 4 years, live on the original xbox changed very little in it's life span. All games supported voice chat on day 1. If I remember correctly though, sony launched their network adapter and 'online' service about the same time as live on the PS2...I think I played online once on my ps2.

The 360 introduced a whole new dimension to it, with the common interface across all games, chat across games, common interface across all games, etc. This, I will agree, has been improving over the year and 2 or so months that the 360 has been out. Background downloading has been added, a very slick video marketplace, lots of Live arcade improvements, etc... And I also realize that I pay $60 a year for the service. But what is offered, to me, is well worth $5 a month.

Sony is taking a different path. Not having a standard across all games makes the service free, sure, but you get what you pay for. I can imagine developers deciding not to bother with voice chat, or requiring you to purchase their own peripherals or charge their own separate fees for online gaming.

This stuff may not matter to folks who don't play online. So it is a moot point to some, but a large portion of my playtime is spent playing with a group of friends, and without voice chat I don't think we would be doing it.

Talk about common interface. I really like the way they linked xbox.com to live. You can send and receive messages to friends either way (360 console or xbox.com). I just wish you can hear your voice messages on xbox.com though. That would be really neat!

Anyway, back to the PS3. Got mine last week and would be setting it up basically for BD play this week. I have BLOCKBUSTER.COM but I can't get a BD rental since most of the titles have a "LONG WAIT" status. Geezzee.. Anyone knows if it's the same with NETFLIX?

TIA

Talk about common interface. I really like the way they linked xbox.com to live. You can send and receive messages to friends either way (360 console or xbox.com). I just wish you can hear your voice messages on xbox.com though. That would be really neat!

Anyway, back to the PS3. Got mine last week and would be setting it up basically for BD play this week. I have BLOCKBUSTER.COM but I can't get a BD rental since most of the titles have a "LONG WAIT" status. Geezzee.. Anyone knows if it's the same with NETFLIX?

TIA

I have Netflix and LOVE it. I have heard stories similar to yours about Blockbuster.com, I say switch. I have 400+ titles in my queue and only 1 or 2 says "short wait". I haven't had to wait for BD titles yet either.

I have Netflix, and I have been renting HDDVDs with good success. I will say that if you rent a lot of movies, Netflix will start to throttle you a bit. I've seen long wait, very long wait on titles, but it's usually when they're new, and you're renting tons of flicks. Otherwise, I really like the service....I went to them because I was sick of Blockbuster's store rental BS.

The one thing I really like about it is the way that all the movies are interconnected by ratings, customer preferences, director, actor, producer, etc. Makes browsing for movies really effective.

I used to have NETFLIX before but I switched to BB when they launched their TOTAL ACCESS program. The program is quite nice. For example, if you have 3 at a time unlimited rentals, you get 3 DVDs and when done, you can go to a BB store to return them and pick 3 rental DVDs (subjected to the store's return policy). Then BB.COM will send you the next 3 DVDs in your Q. You also get a coupon for a free DVD rental to a store. Technically, you get 7 rentals in a week!!!!

On the other hand, HD DVDs are so hard to rent at BB.COM at not all stores carry HDs. On six BB stores that are near my place, only one carry HD rentals I was told and it's a pain to go to that place because it's kindda far from me. Also, their site looks really nice (totally revised) BUT it is really slow at the same time. I would always take user friendly functionality over good looks.

Ohh..and I re-opened my NETFLIX account. I'll get my 2 BDs today. Nice!