OT: 8mm film to DVD transfer

Tom Adams

I've decided to tackle the job of having my family's 8mm movies transfered to DVD since the film won't last much longer and I'd like to do this mostly for my Mom & Dad since they're now in their mid 80's - i.e. their faculties are waning and they're probably not going to be around much longer. [:(]

Anyone here ever do this and if so, what were your experiences and who did you use and would you use them again? Any other tips, suggestions, ideas, etc. would be greatly appreciated.

TIA

Tom

Tom,

I assume you are actually refering to 8mm film? You'll need to use your local yellowpages. Some companies that specialize in VHS or DVD duplication offer this service...also a few consumer level photo labs might still offer this type of service. Often they will offer you a package deal including transfering your film and then editing it together usually with some pretty cheezy music:( You will want to organize you film in some sort of chronological order if possible otherwise the 17 year old kid that transfers the films for you will...and you don't want that;)

The device used to transfer your original 8mm to video or digital file is called a film chain or film prism. It would consist of a film projector that would project the film image into a mirror or prism that would have a video or some type of digital camera recording the picture.

These types of systems are getting pretty ancient...so the longer you wait...the fewer places there will be to help you.

Good Luck!

Dave

Tom: Check around. Sometimes places that offer photo finishing such as Walgreen, CVS or Rite-Aid also offer a film transfer service. They usually are rather affordable and fast. I've see $25 for a 200ft roll to DVD, 5-day turn-around before. Also check with photo labs. They may know someone who does it.

I've decided to tackle the job of having my family's 8mm movies transfered to DVD since the film won't last much longer and I'd like to do this mostly for my Mom & Dad since they're now in their mid 80's - i.e. their faculties are waning and they're probably not going to be around much longer. [:(]

Anyone here ever do this and if so, what were your experiences and who did you use and would you use them again? Any other tips, suggestions, ideas, etc. would be greatly appreciated.

TIA

Tom

One of my friends here has just recently had this done. He used an outfit called MyMovieTransfer. He says that they did an excellent job with the movie transfers. Along these same lines, if you have alot of slides that needs to be scanned into digital prints, he has used another outfit called DigMyPics. He also said they did a good job and the resulting prints turned out good. Of course, you can always go and edit them with PhotoShop or PaintShopPro or similiar if you feel you need to tweak the picture around a bit.

If you are not into getting the best quality on the transfer then have the local people do it. If you want the best quality then find a pro lab with the proper 1.5 million dollar machine and they usually will take as little as 200ft roll of film and trransfer to the tape that you want or to DVD without editing. If you don't specify the tape type they will give you "Betacam SP" which will do you no good. I specify "Mini-DV" tape (they try to give you VHS) as I capture it into my computer (with VCR or Camcorder) and then edit and burn it to disc. After the film is transfered to DVD and then for some reason you want to edit it you can import it into and editing system and do your thing but when burned again you will get a small loss in quality. You can project it onto a screen and take the video with a camcorder but that's a big loss in quality and you will have the "jitters" and sync problems unless you get a projector with a 5 bladed shutter, and the motor on the projector still has to be very steady or everything goes out of sync. There is another $1500.00 system that can be purchased new that transfers at 6 frames per sec into your computer but you still have to have the camcorder. Lots of "technmicals" involved here. Your 8 mm film is probably 18 frames per second and video is 30 frames per second. You can see the problem here. Easiest thing to do is throw all the film into a box and have someone else do it, preferably someone with the required knowledge.

JJK

As JJKIZAK notes: "If you want the best quality then find a pro lab with the proper 1.5 million dollar machine... "

These devices are called telecines and are normally tied to color correctors (normally DaVinci). Most places that have that kind of technology won't have an 8mm gate...(a small handful might?). These places would likely charge by the hour anyhere from $250 to $850 per hour as they are used to dealing with broadcast and film professionals. I work for a pro lab that has 3 such telecine suites, none of them have 8mm gates. On several occasions we have rented 8mm gates and we were not terribly happy with the results not to mention the $500 per day rental fee (2 day minimum!) which we pass on to the client.

Although you will get a noticable difference going with a higher end company, I'm not sure it's really worth the money for 8mm home movies.

Dave

These devices are called telecines and are normally tied to color correctors (normally DaVinci). Most places that have that kind of technology won't have an 8mm gate...(a small handful might?). These places would likely charge by the hour anyhere from $250 to $850 per hour as they are used to dealing with broadcast and film professionals. I work for a pro lab that has 3 such telecine suites, none of them have 8mm gates. On several occasions we have rented 8mm gates and we were not terribly happy with the results not to mention the $500 per day rental fee (2 day minimum!) which we pass on to the client. Although you will get a noticable difference going with a higher end company, I'm not sure it's really worth the money for 8mm home movies.

That's why I went with a company who does 35mm stuff for the pros on a daily basis. My Movie Transfer (www.mymovietransfer.com) is who I chose to convert my late father's 8mm home movies to DVD.

They throw the amateur stuff in with the 8mm and 16mm gates on their telecines between batches of 35mm stuff. It cost quite a bit of money, but well worth the price.

Thanks guys for all the suggestions/ideas/opinions/etc. I checked around in my local area and found a photo shop that could do the job, but they said that it would be worth my while to go with one of the companies (like skonopa suggested) that had the equipment to really do it right. So, thats the route Im gonna go. Itll probably cost a bit more, but Im doing this is mostly for my parents, so money isnt really a factor. I mean - its a small price to pay to see them smile when they watch these old movies again. Not to mention not having to haul out that old projector and thread the film through it!

Again, thanks for the help. [Y] [:)]

Tom