Rome

TBrennan

I recorded it on one of our HD PVR's tonight, but my wife and I won't get a chance to sit down together and watch it till tomorrow. We really enjoyed it last year and have been looking forward to it. HBO does have the best series on TV, I just wish they had more of them.

"They play fast and loose with history I suspect"

Very fast, the first season covered eight years, from Caesar capturing Alesia and Vercingetorix in 52 BCE to Caesar's muder in 44 BCE.

But they get much of the essential characteristics of the historical characters----Caesar's energy, risk taking and calculated generosity, Octavian's intelligence, cunning and self awareness, Cicero's fence-sitting, Antony's animal magnetism. I think Octavian is the most interesting character and very well written. It helps that in reality he was the most interesting and IMO the greatest Roman up to that time, perhaps the greatest of all time (I give very high marks to Vespasian and Trajan).

Vercingetorix was younger than shown and was probably short haired and clean shaven, a mustache at most. And no wings or horns on his helmet, Gallic helmets of the time were very plain and functional, picture a German WW II helmet but with cheekguards. But I suppose the show wanted the Celts to look "barbaric".

Still, the show does very well.