car audio

masterxela

I'm considering putting money into the car, and was wondering what
you guys have. I can go to the store and have some kid tell me how
loud__ can play, but id rather have something that doesn't make me
cringe after listening to some Boston on the klipsch's. Thanks

Anyone put some klipsch drivers in their car?

Well it depends on your pocketbook, don't expect to pull into Best Buy or Circuit City and pull out with a system that can rival a Klipsch home system. Their focus is BOOM and not sound quality, the products are sub-par as well. You will need to go to speciality car audio shop and tell them your focus is sound quality and not BOOM.

Most of the new decks, amps, and speakers are all Chinese and Korean made poo poo. Go with old school gear, give me a budget to work with, sthe size speakers that you will use and I can come up with a top notch SQ system for you with used gear. A single 10" or 12" soubwoofer in a sealed enclosure will usually provide more than enough bass to complement the system.

The head unit and quality amplifier is what will cost the most. If you use standard redbook CD's or use CD-R's that you burn't at home will make a difference on head unit choices.

My car audio system rivals my Home Theater and sounds downright phenomenal, but I used the best old school amplification (Orion Xtreme XTR-100 & XTR-200 dual mono blocks) that I could find, matched it with a top notch head unit and quality speakers and crossover networks.

I have been into car audio since the mid 70's and have seen and heard alot, I also competed in IASCA car audio sound quality competitions from '95 - '97.

Alpine, JL audio,MBQuart,Boston Acoustics, Pioneer(headunits, speakers are ok.). I have a 12" AlpineType R with a Kicker 600 watt block, a 2 channel JBL amp going to a set of Alpine Type S 5 1/4s and Pioneer 4x6s all running into a Pioneer DEH-6700....all in a Jeep Wrangler....I think it sounds fantastic.

I will use 6.5's in the front doors, and 6x9's in the rear seat side

panels. I have a very nice adire audio koda 12" in a sealed box in my

ht right now that I could put in the trunk. It is a dodge stealth,

hatchback. There are tweeters up ontop of the dash not in use after I

bought my current headunit. It's a $150 kenwood about a yr old. I guess

I was hoping to spend around 1000 on the new equipment, but that seems

unlikely. CD-R's are the current selection. As funds are low, the whole

system probably will not be purchased at one time. Thanks

I have a very simple three way system with component mids and tweeters in the front doors only, and a single sub in the trunk.  Eclipse CD Receiver. Sinfoni 120.4 amplifier biamping Dynaudio components.  Sinfoni 150.2 amp driving a single JL Audio 12W7.

Good advice from Frzninvt.  Here's mine:

Keep it as simple as possible.
Don't scrimp on speakers; they will make more difference than anything else you do. Audition at length using your source material. Speaker placement can make as much difference as the speakers themselves; experiment for best imaging and soundstaging.

Buy as much power as you can afford.  Headroom is king in a noisy environment. Doubling the power only yields a 3db increase.

Stay away from the big box stores. 

Do your homework on equipment at carsound.com and elitecaraudio.com. Both have sound-quality sections.

A single sub in a sealed enclosure is the most forgiving and easiest to tune to the car. The shape can be manipulated to fit your car.

There are a few good amp companies out there if you can't find some of the old school amps.  Some of the newer ICE based digital amps are actually quite good too, especially in this environment.

If you can find a good installer, they are worth their weight in gold.  Ask to hear their car.  That will tell you more than anything about them.

What's your budget?  What are your goals? What does the stock system not accomplish that you wish it would?  

I used to be really big into car audio, but then I turned to home audio, and left car audio alone. I strongly recommend the Kicker Solarbaric subs. I had one 10", and if you didn't know any better, you would think I had at least two of them. I pushed it with a Phoenix gold amp. I took second in a DB drag race with that one 10. Look into those subs, they're awesome