Something your Dad might have listened to?

Chicago_Pete

My dad had an old dual turntable, Bogen rp230 tube amp and a pair of wharfdales(sp?) that I don't remember the model of. They were about the size of my cornwalls. He now has a pair of klf20s that I gave him a few years ago. I asked him about the wharfdales a couple of weeks ago. Says that they are stored in the attic and I can have them.... Someday I"ll pick them up just for the listen......

dave

Dave, not sure about Wharfdales but I had to have the surrounds re-edged on every pair of vintage 15" JBL's I ever had.

A few weeks ago a friend gave me an old pair of B.I.C. towers. Hooked them up in the garage and started to play DSOTM. The woofers disintegrated halfway through the CD:) Pushed them out to the curb.

OB, they are a two way with a passive. If you look closely at the woofer on the left, no spiders. Interesting passive, they have these discs on the back of the PR15 that you can add / remove to tailor the sound? Not sure, never tried it.

Heres a pic of their baby brother, the Sovereign II. Same drivers, LE85 horn, LE15A woofer but JBL ported this cabinet. Much rarer than the Sov 1's. There wasn't much of a price difference new and most people went for the larger cabinet. Sold this pair about three years ago.

post-14158-13819321566678_thumb.jpg

My dad had an old dual turntable, Bogen rp230 tube amp and a pair of wharfdales(sp?) that I don't remember the model of. They were about the size of my cornwalls. He now has a pair of klf20s that I gave him a few years ago. I asked him about the wharfdales a couple of weeks ago. Says that they are stored in the attic and I can have them.... Someday I"ll pick them up just for the listen......

dave

I am a big fan of the wharfedales. I have three pairs. Two W - 70s and a pair of W-60s. Very very underated and quite a bargain. The W -70s are not as big as the cornwalls. They came in a number of configurations. The best , in my opinion is the original three way. All cast tweeter, mid and woofer with Alnico drivers. You can tell by the red dot. These are some serious sounding speakers.

post-12293-1381932156855_thumb.jpg

Interesting passive, they have these discs on the back of the PR15 that you can add / remove to tailor the sound? Not sure, never tried it.

If they are weighted discs, it would give you the option of changing the tuning point of the passive. More discs would be heavier and thus a lower tuning point. Take them off and the tuning point moves higher.

Interesting passive, they have these discs on the back of the PR15 that you can add / remove to tailor the sound? Not sure, never tried it.

If they are weighted discs, it would give you the option of changing the tuning point of the passive. More discs would be heavier and thus a lower tuning point. Take them off and the tuning point moves higher.

Lower tuning point means increased bass?

post-14158-1381932158145_thumb.jpg

Yeh pete the wharfedales have the cloth surrounds. These are from the late 50's would be my guess. They will have to be reconed. I haven't decided if I'm going to mess with them or not. They are walnut, which I like, and the last time I saw them they were in great shape. My dads kindof anal about his things. LIke washing the lawn mower after every use. He teaches avionics at a college in NC so I guess this is where he gets his particulars from.

Those BIC towers you referred to. I had a couple of pairs of BIC v736's back in the late 90's. Only paid about 70 bucks apiece for them and they were actually pretty darn good. Pretty good bass extenstion for such a small woofer(2 X 6 1/2"). They would compare pretty favorably with the rf3's that came after them.

There is also an old Grundig tube radio in my dads attic that I'm going to grab next time I'm down there. About 1 1/2 ft high by 2 ft long. I remember listening to Gunsmoke on it when I was about 5 and we were stationed in Spain. (Dad in AirForce... no TV). Also heard the Flintstones on it. Great memories. Kids now adays don't know what they are missing......

Dave

Means lower bass, but it's not as loud...I think the attached chart explains it with the most clairty:

(purple = highest mass, lowest tuning. blue = medium mass, medium tuning. green = lowest mass, highest tuning).

post-10350-1381932158721_thumb.gif

Pete (and anyone else, for that matter) -- you wouldn't happen to have a pair of LE 5 drivers, would you? I am itching to try a pair in Edgarhorn mid horns.

BTW -- gorgeous speakers! I have been kicking myself ever since selling my 075s bullet tweeters. By far and away the finest vintage HF driver I have ever heard. Sigh...

Pete (and anyone else, for that matter) -- you wouldn't happen to have a pair of LE 5 drivers, would you?  I am itching to try a pair in Edgarhorn mid horns.

BTW -- gorgeous speakers!  I have been kicking myself ever since selling my 075s bullet tweeters.  By far and away the finest vintage HF driver I have ever heard.  Sigh...

I agree that the 075 is a great tweeter. I tried to convert a pair of S7R JBL Olympus to the S8R system. I bought the 7000 crossovers, a pair of 075's but I wasn't going to spend the two grand for a pair of 375's so I found the pro version, 2440's I think? Supposed to be the same 2 inch midrange.

I guess you need a large room for that set up, it was overpowering and far from enjoyable.

Means lower bass, but it's not as loud...I think the attached chart explains it with the most clairty:

(purple = highest mass, lowest tuning. blue = medium mass, medium tuning. green = lowest mass, highest tuning).

Makes sense. I bet a lot of guys back in the day meesed around with those discs? Been listening to these furniture speakers for a couple of days now. They certainly have their merits but I wouldn't swap them out for my Khorns. Mids are way smoother but they dont go as high / low. Just my opinion.