New Pair Heresys

jocko_nc

I just picked up a new pair of Heresys. They are pretty rough, I bought them for parts and for a center channel project.

These are old, S/N 20P070 and 71. The woofers are shot, K-22-EF. Tweets and Mids are good so far. These have the older K-77 with the metal dome and the usual K-55-V. The cabinets are Birch Black. Thus, there is no reason I can't easily get them looking good again. They are just plywood and paint. I have a furniture buddy who could do these in two minutes.

Should I clean up these cabinets? Is there a market for them? They are old (I suppose someone will reply with the date code) and solid wood. How about the old-style woofers? Are they worth getting reconed? Is there a demand for the older woofers?

Thanks.

jocko

No one seems to have any interest in reconing K22 woofers. They say you can replace them cheaper than recone. I've got several pair with torn cones laying around that I would try reconing if I could find the parts. If the cabinets are decorator, flush fronts without grills someone may take them otherwise it's almost cost prohibitive to sell empty cabinets and pay shipping. Of course you can always replace the woofers and refinish the cabinets and have yourself a nice pair of Klipsch Heresys![D]

They are flush fronts, as in they don't have the recess where the grille would go. They do not seem to have ever accomodated any kind of cover over the woofers. ???.

Model is: HD BB. I'll take a guess... "Heresy. Decorator. Birch. Black" ???.

I will refinish these cabinets, if only for myself.

jocko

Those look home made...the cross bracking for the front motorboards are not there. Later versions used grooves for the front motorboard, but those usally have the front load feature in the cutouts that let the magnet thru.

Q -Should I clean up these cabinets?

A-if your are going to keep them, sure.

Q- Is there a market for them?

A- Old empty beater cabs are probally worth 25 bucks if local. If shipping is involved, it is sometimes hard to give them away.

S -They are old (I suppose someone will reply with the date code) and solid wood.

R-old in mint condition stir a lot of intrest.

q- How about the old-style woofers? Are they worth getting reconed? Is there a demand for the older woofers?

A - No, No, No

If your going to keep the speakers for your use, and paid cheap, might be worth to invest some cash.

If you are just looking to flip them for a profit, the cost of your time and additonal investments paired against what beater repainted cabs are worth may not make this really profitable.

I have some back panels that i obtained from ebay sellers who parted out their Hersey's....so the existinace of Labels is not proof positive that they are originals.

Those indeed are original decorators. The cutouts are painted just dusty. These in my humble opinion are the best looking of the heresy line and seem to be fetching a nice price these days. I'd refinish these and replace the drivers and upgrade the crossovers. Parting them out would be a shame. If you don't want them I'll take em off your hands. A little elbow grease will turn them into something like this

post-14322-13819321506574_thumb.jpg